Technical Indicator lights

Currently reading:
Technical Indicator lights

p0689109

My indicator light system is playing up as in upon selection the light/s go on and normally the "ticking" noise too but now and again the ticking noise stops. Now this might seem trivial but now and again when this happens I have assumed that I had not "indicated" and go to select again. When the traffic is busy it is a pain. I dont think there is the old fashioned relay on the car so I am wondering what controls this system. Any ideas?

There was some discussion of this in this thread

I think in most modern cars it comes from a Little speaker in the dash somewhere
In my Peugeot there is a speaker in the indicator Cowel on the steering wheel

Do your other warning sounds work like seat belt warning or lights on when removing key ?

Yes there's a small speaker in the back of the speedo unit which simulates the noise. It will be cut off if other sounds (like a warning tone) need to be issued. There's no way to control the volume of the "tick" (even though you can control the volume of button and warning beeps). Some are louder than others in my experience...

JD2023 Yes they work OK.
I had a hinch that there was some sort of device in the speedo. When I first got the car the centre display went blank. I sent that away to be fixed. I suppose doing that again is an option!

You do wonder how much extra it costs for a speaker and sound generator to mimic a relay, compared to just having a relay in there

Yes there's a small speaker in the back of the speedo unit which simulates the noise. It will be cut off if other sounds (like a warning tone) need to be issued. There's no way to control the volume of the "tick" (even though you can control the volume of button and warning beeps). Some are louder than others in my experience...
One of the more frustrating features of the older 500's.:mad: Due to glare reflecting off the steering wheel cowl I often can't see the instruments on sunny days (that's why I installed a HUD GPS speedo) and, because I can't hear the indicator tick either, I've driven for miles with an uncancelled indicator.

Last edited:
Back