General EGR removal

Currently reading:
General EGR removal

vincenze

Started to lose power at low revs. Not ideal when crossing a main road.

Cleaned the MAF (wasn't really dirty)

Took off EGR flex – coronary heart disease comes to mind. It was gunked up.

I cleaned out as best I could the down pipe and the entrance to the EGR.

But I got to thinking why not replace the EGR. It's a pig with its 4 backward facing bolts.

Any short cuts from experienced EGR hacks would be appreciated. I assume you have to come in with an 8mm spanner behind the brake fluid optic.

Thanks in advance

Vince

Started to lose power at low revs. Not ideal when crossing a main road.

Cleaned the MAF (wasn't really dirty)

Took off EGR flex – coronary heart disease comes to mind. It was gunked up.

I cleaned out as best I could the down pipe and the entrance to the EGR.

But I got to thinking why not replace the EGR. It's a pig with its 4 backward facing bolts.

Any short cuts from experienced EGR hacks would be appreciated. I assume you have to come in with an 8mm spanner behind the brake fluid optic.

Thanks in advance

Vince

Blank the busterd off, but clean it first. Can be done in situ, but better right off.. blanking plates on eBay for flumpence.

In situ: Undo the 4 allen / torq / star whatever screws that hold the solenoid end on. (Tip: break the screws using the torq, then use a ball ended allen key)
Take the corrugated pipe off from the EGR and the inlet.
Clean the whole thing out, make sure the valve body works freely and springs back under it's own pressure and the solenoid works.

Off the engine, same as above, but the fixing bolts you've mentioned to drop it off. Either way it's a moo and make sure you wear rubber gloves.

If in situ, forget about putting back the 4th screw thats right underneath the solenoid unless you feel in need of punishment - it's completely over engineered for what it does, and two opposite each other is more than sufficient.

have fun :p

Back