General E10 petrol for B

Currently reading:
General E10 petrol for B

Yes the engines did change.

The second phase MarkII engines are Engine Number: 188A6.000

Technically: CO2 emissionsin accordance with Directive 1999/100/CE which I think maps to Euro3 or better.

The earlier engines are: 183A1.000

Other than government websites, other well know car magazines say that a Fiat / Alfa 1.8 CF3 engine like I have in 2002 B is Euro 3 standard and compatible with E10 as opposed a CF2 engine being not.

What "other well known car magazine"?

I would tend to trust the ACEA E10 See: https://www.acea.auto/uploads/publications/ACEA_E10_compatibility.pdf

States: E10 petrol is cleared for all Fiat vehicles with petrol engines of Euro 3 emission levels or newer, starting from model year 2000, except the following vehicles:
• Barchetta: 1.8 16V

The whole thing for the "B" is still as clear as mud.

I also note in the above reference ACEA docuament they say:

"It is important to note that the compatibility of vehicle with petrol depends both on the
petrol octane rating and its ethanol content. Depending on the fuel supplier, it may be the case that E5 is offered as either 95 RON (octane) or 98 RON (usually at a higher pump price). The recommended octane requirement for the vehicle must be met and the ethanol content of the petrol may not exceed the compatibility limit."

So:
E10 - 98RON ??
E10 - 95RON
E5 - 98RON
E5 - 95RON

Diesel
Diesel Premium
Diesel Ultimate/Extra

Interesting article here: https://autotechnician.co.uk/forewarned-is-forearmed-e10-petrol/

The 2002-2005 "B"s *may* still retain the metal fuel tank and pump/level components etc. Have not looked behind the panel on our 2005 B.

No ePER interesting lists two different fuel tanks/components for the "B".

M1 - C4354 - 1.8 (182A1000) - New ECE F3 Engine Type - (DAT 15/092000)
M2 - D4354 - 1.8 (188A1000) - New ECE F3 Engine Type - (DAT 15/092000)

I would say that it the CF3 "B" has a metal fuel tank then E10 is not going to be an option except for emergency short term use followed by several E5 fill ups to dilute and flush out the E10.

I’ve wondered what technically makes the E10 unsuitable for the barchetta as the fuel system (even on my 99 one) seems to a modern spec. Do you think it is purely down to the metal fuel tank?
It would be good to know what actual fuel you are getting at the pump ‘up to’ 5 percent or ‘up to’ 10 percent is pretty meaningless….but given the number of miles I do running on super seems not a great hardship to be sure….

I think the E10 vs E5 issues and possible damage (long term) is not an understanding
issue as such. E10 on all accounts is more damaging to "some" vehicles that E5.

I think with the Barchetta there is little real clarity from Fiat UK/EU/WW.

Now it could be that all "B"s and all years can not run wit E10. But on the other hand we have CF3 / Euro 3 "B"s that supposedly, being Euro 3 etc. in theory/reported state info, should be OK on E10.

Of course all "B" owners should be assuming and using "E5" fuels only, But that said I hate, ....., the lack of true clarity and uncertainty. I was hoping (in my dreams) that we would have true chassis number related information. Even if I look on ePER via chassis number CF3 seems to be a convergence point for older CF2 and CF3 vehicles when it comes to spare fuel system etc. parts. So no definitive clue here/there!

In reality the Italians (other than Ferrari) are basically "happy go lucky", "run it till it stops", "just enjoy what you have", "don't ask difficult questions", etc.

Enjoy ..... while it still runs!

Back