Technical E10 Fuel

Currently reading:
Technical E10 Fuel

I know that this has been coming for some time now but I just heard ads on the radio about E5 fuel being phased out and E10 being the new normal from this summer. Apparently this is all part of our attempts to reduce C02 emissions.
What they don't mention is that as this fuel contains less energy as such we will need more of it to cover the same distance as we did with less E5, so whether that negates the Co2 saving - who knows?
My question is are we all now resigned to having to put "Super" (V Power?) in our Pandas or just see if the added water content of E10 corrodes our systems?
Apologies if I have missed any thread on this.

Hi, I've just seen the report on the BBC website about E10 and thought I'd check the forum - this is the only E10 specific topic that came up in the search.

The report states that "Every petrol vehicle built after 2011 should accept E10." Interesting that "should" doesn't equal "will" and notes that if incompatible it may damage the engine - including damage to rubber seals, plastics and metals. (As usual the Government won't accept any liability if this happens!)

The recommendation for older vehicles is to stick to E5 Super - which "should" still be available at many filling stations (but how long for is anyone's guess). My 1978 900T ruins on E5 Super quite happily - although I have fitted a 123+ Dizzy upgrade which probably helps a bit.

There is also a link in the BBC article to the Government fuel checker. Basically, if you have a Fiat built before 2001 you need to stick to E5 - the link also shows the post 2001 Fiat's that should also avoid E10.

Maybe time to start saving up for an electric conversion. I saw a TV program a while back where someone had converted a classic 500 to electric... with a 900T I'll have a lot more room for batteries :)

the best fuel for the classics is Esso Synergy 99 as its ethanol free even though it says E5, the cost is annoying but the Pandas aren't exactly fuel guzzlers...

... this the point in time where i say ive ran a FiRE on many things that is not petrol?

industrial solvent degreaser was one of them.. had a 45gal drum of it come into work.. i about ran the car for free for almost a year with no issues.

you're admitting to probably breaking about half a dozen laws to probably not the point in time to say

who said anything about using said vehicle on the public highways?! would not dream of it..

Still need to pay the taxes, also all those laws about what you can and can’t use a fuel in an engine.

Even vintage tractor owners need a special licence to mix certain things into diesel required specifically for old tractors

I know that this has been coming for some time now but I just heard ads on the radio about E5 fuel being phased out and E10 being the new normal from this summer. Apparently this is all part of our attempts to reduce C02 emissions.
What they don't mention is that as this fuel contains less energy as such we will need more of it to cover the same distance as we did with less E5, so whether that negates the Co2 saving - who knows?
My question is are we all now resigned to having to put "Super" (V Power?) in our Pandas or just see if the added water content of E10 corrodes our systems?
Apologies if I have missed any thread on this.

According to the link in post #2 , our Pandas will be fine. When it appears in my local fuel stations, I'll use it. I'll let you all know if anything dissolves.

According to the link in post #2 , our Pandas will be fine. When it appears in my local fuel stations, I'll use it. I'll let you all know if anything dissolves.

I thought I'd had three fills of E10, but it seems my local Sainsbury's have put the new labels on the nozzles, but will not be having E10 deliveries until Sept 1st. Not had a reply to my challenge regarding mislabelling.

I thought I'd had three fills of E10, but it seems my local Sainsbury's have put the new labels on the nozzles, but will not be having E10 deliveries until Sept 1st. Not had a reply to my challenge regarding mislabelling.

A lot of places re labelling ahead of time, apparently the E10 labelling is fine anyway as the E10 standard allows up to 10% ethanol rather than being exactly the 10%

I shall use the super stuff until others have experimented. I cant remember that Shell fuel that caused quite a few issues a few years back, but I shall watch and wait, in spite of 'Noop' actually having a label on the filler showing the car is OK for E10. On the older cars we shall alternate once we inevitably start using E10. I wonder about the lawn mower. Its a true T*** at best at all times and I expect it to explode if it gets anything it doesn't like. It could turn out to be the time to get a battery mower.

tbh with the classic pandas I'd be inclined to say I'd not worry about the injection models too much, if you have a mechanical fuel pump/carb setup I'd be a bit worried about doing nothing. But its not a big deal even then, a new fuel pump should be totally fine and they arent dear..
On my old panda which was a mech pump and carb 750 fire, when i swapped the engine to a 1242 mpi fire I looked at the fuel lines and they were obviously never designed for the higher pressures of injection and they were very soft from age etc. I just ran all new lines, didnt cost much at all - ran solid lines under the car with some new injection rated rubber at the tank end and around the engine bay, whole job only took a few hours.
There is no young classic pandas at this point so if i bought another classic panda I'd just replace all the lines no matter which engine it had and slap a new pump on if mechanical type (my car ran fine when i got it fyi but it didnt like cold starts, which turned out to be just a weak pump, started on the button every time with a fresh pump on it), a new pump is never a bad thing ;)

Back