Dying Fish?

Currently reading:
Dying Fish?

Hi All

Not had any help from anyone else so gonna post here as a last resort.

Basically, one of my cherry barbs began swimming in loops and on its back 2 weeks ago.

Since then it has been laid in a plant and only moves for food.

Tried treating for 'swim bladder' but hasn't made a difference.

For the first time today it got close to the glass and i've noticed it doesn't have a tail fin anymore? Fin rot?

Anyone have any idea, not sure how much longer it will last tbh.

Thansk in advance,

Sam

has it got any white looking fungus on its fins?

Best thing to do is first isolate that fish, to stop any infection spreading while you still can.

Clean water in all your tanks and make sure the filters are clean.

wikipedia suggests;

Symptoms:
Fin edges turn black / brown
Fins fray
Base of fins inflamed
Entire fin may rot away or fall off in large chunks

Ways to treat:
Change the water
Treat with herbal remedies like Melafix
Use common salt
Find out the pH and correct it

has it got any white looking fungus on its fins?

Best thing to do is first isolate that fish, to stop any infection spreading while you still can.

Clean water in all your tanks and make sure the filters are clean.

wikipedia suggests;

Symptoms:
Fin edges turn black / brown
Fins fray
Base of fins inflamed
Entire fin may rot away or fall off in large chunks

Ways to treat:
Change the water
Treat with herbal remedies like Melafix
Use common salt
Find out the pH and correct it

Spot on. But tbh sounds like it's a gonner, aint gonna do much with out a tail fin. I know it's a controversial subject but I'd euthanize it.

Once the deed is done start with the tank remedy, I'd hazard a guess that your carbon filter is past due (that's if you've done your water changes etc ontime).

had a look at the fish and it's body looks fine. No other signs apart from a missing tail fin.

The water currently has aquairum salt in it to aid the treating of swim bladder disease (with swim bladder treatment)

Water has been changed very often recently, the second I noticed changes in one fish.

Strip test shows all levels are ok (not accurate I know) and Amonnia (liquid) tests show it's levels are fine too.

Carbon filter is a week old (recently changed) but it currently removed while using swim bladder treatment.

Is euthanization the only way now?

All other fish are fine, no symptoms of anything.

had a look at the fish and it's body looks fine. No other signs apart from a missing tail fin.

The water currently has aquairum salt in it to aid the treating of swim bladder disease (with swim bladder treatment)

Water has been changed very often recently, the second I noticed changes in one fish.

Strip test shows all levels are ok (not accurate I know) and Amonnia (liquid) tests show it's levels are fine too.

Carbon filter is a week old (recently changed) but it currently removed while using swim bladder treatment.

Is euthanization the only way now?

All other fish are fine, no symptoms of anything.

Check for signs of rot on any other fish in the same tank.

Just because everything is ok with levels doesnt mean it can be a bacteria.

Has it been over feed?

Have you seen any other fish attack it? that could be one explaination.

I think it might be, I cant see its fin regrowing. its obviously in distress if its only coming out for food and swimming upside down :(

Photo will be up tomorrow.

The reason for no photo is because I was removing some ornaments in an attempt to see it but in the process, the sand has made the tank cloudy so will get some in the morning.

@RussJTD I rarely overfeed (to my knowledge), however, when I was on holiday for ten days (while I was away this began) a guppy also died with no symptoms, which often seems to be the case when my mum is looking after them. Iv tried telling her to seriously go easy on the food but obviously i was away so couldnt check.

Only the very end part of the tail appears to be missing, but will see when water clears up.

All of the other fish seem 100%, some of the fish in there are 2 year old now approximately.

Not saying age rules it out, just pointing out that this isn't common for me.

Last edited:
pics;

2012-07-18 16.54.28.jpg2012-07-18 16.54.41.jpg
2012-07-18 16.55.13.jpg

Back