Technical Drum brakes auto adjusters

Currently reading:
Technical Drum brakes auto adjusters

Having changed the rear shoes due to a sticking rear wheel cylinder it appears both auto adjusters are very worn on the car the teeth and nearly worn out
Any one Got good source for them other then fiat?

There's a Bosch kit that comes pre-assembled, someone posted it, re my question about the very same thing bar my auto adjusters don't seem to work since replacing everything including the hubs, can't seem to find the post at mo

It was me.

I actually fitted the kit today, or rather I did along with a colleague from work while two other guys got the gearbox out. Snapped one rear brake pipe and rounded the other one off, so the car is not mobile just yet.

https://m.mister-auto.co.uk/brake-k...VJyjTCh1LvA8HEAQYASABEgLcY_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think you the the part where i allready changed the pads
I saw the complete kit on Euros but when it was 3x the price of the pads alone and there website seemed to imply the kit was only for one wheel e.g one set of pads springs ect

I think you the the part where i allready changed the pads
I saw the complete kit on Euros but when it was 3x the price of the pads alone and there website seemed to imply the kit was only for one wheel e.g one set of pads springs ect

No I didn’t where you already changed the shoes.

Sometimes it’s best not to cheap out and just buy pads or shoes and go for the cheapest way out.

I went for the Superpro kit which is about £70 for both sides for peace of mind. No point cheating out only to find that one of your adjusters is faulty and all your work is for nothing, or that one of your wheels cylinders leaks next month or next year.

As it was, one of my wheel cylinders started to leak after it was removed, it might have been fine for a week or for a year, but it was going to leak at some point. Always better to go for the complete kit.

Problem is with the 500 you'd also need to remove to complete hub to get to the mounting bolts for the wheel cylinder so they are partially obstructed
And one of them looks to be fairly new anyway

And there's a fair difference between £21 for the shoes and what seemed to be around. £75 per side for the complete kit at least according to the website

It’s not £75 per side though.

You don’t have to remove the the backing plate either. We did both sides without taking either backing plate off.

Attachments

• 36756420-440F-48B0-945A-A488DD4EB015.jpg
    36756420-440F-48B0-945A-A488DD4EB015.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 22
On your perhaps on mine there no possible way to get a socket on to them and the bolts sit at an angle where you can't get get a spanner on them them properly

And I had to go obthe listing on euros that only states fitted quantity 1 and only shows one set of shoes
Either way it's too late and would be stupid to buy the complete set now
It's still worked out cheeper to get shoes and adjusters seperate £54 Vs £75 for the package

Last edited:
Yes, but how much is it going to cost you if you get a leak? Also, you use an open ended spanner to undo the bolt mounts, not a socket or ring spanner.

When I did mine yesterday, one was on the verge of leaking, and with the seal ever so slightly disturbed it started pissing fluid out. You said one looks new which means that the other has leaked and now the other is older than that one, what do you think happens next?

With jobs like this you don’t pinch pennies, I had the box off my car yesterday so we changed the clutch, pressure plate and clutch release bearing. Now the clutch looked like it could have done another 90k Miles, but for £60 I knew the clutch was going to be as good as new.

For an extra 20 quid you could have had complete new rear brakes, now you’ve got manky cylinders that may or may not last you through the year and because you didn’t just replace everything, you’re going to have to take it apart again! False economy at its best.

The clue with the eurocarparts set is that it’s a set and that they’re not handed.

The shoe sets are handed and for there to only be one side would mean that you’d have to be able to buy a left and right side, which you aren’t.

As it said it didnt matter now I've allready got them
Don't need the spring's and cylinders and wanted to avoid changing them I didn't have to bleed them after especially as the bleed points are rusty
This is my only vehicle so if it snapped I'd be waiting without transport for a few days till I can get new brake lines as I'd doubt it be able to get them same day

Back