Technical Drone/Excessive Engine Noise from Rear

Currently reading:
Technical Drone/Excessive Engine Noise from Rear

Kate 500

Hi All,

I have a 500 1.4 Sport that has recently become very noisy when driving at all speeds. I drove over a branch which got wedged into the right rear wheelarch. I pulled it out and it didn't seem to have done too much damage, but recently there has been a marked increase in road noise, particularly from the rear. It sounds even louder than when you drive with the rear seats folded down. I got two new tyres at the front and asked the (tyre) guy to look at the back, so he put it up on the car lift and couldn't see any problems. He also said tyres were fine.

The noise is a drone that increases and decreases with speed, and it seems to lag a couple of seconds behind the revs of the engine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Maybe the exhaust ok a hit from the branch. It may look ok but still be have a small hole/split on a joint.

Get someone to rev the engine while stationary and listen to the exhaust from underneath or behind the car.

What did these noise issues turn out to be? I'm having the same problem (geary roar/drone from the rear that is directly correlated with vehicle speed) and wondering if it's a wheel bearing or the differential (up front but somehow I hear it out back?)...

For the sake of future readers - my problem turned out to be a faulty wheel bearing, and replacing them at the rear did the trick.

Back