Technical EGR Fault P0404-78 Excessive offset

Currently reading:
Technical EGR Fault P0404-78 Excessive offset

Busso

Hi all,

I've got a fault code that keeps flagging up every so often, mostly from cold. P0404-78 EGR Excessive offset.

Car drives fine but does throw smoke out for first few seconds from cold. I've had a look at MES and a couple things stand out. First MAF air temp is -40. It might be an anomaly as when started it reads fine. Secondly EGR is open 9% on idle when warm. I assume it's meant to be closed so valve could be stuck open?

It was thoroughly cleaned out around 3k miles ago so I would like to understand the fault code more before removing it again (It's an absolute pig of a job)

Any knowledge is appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1331.jpeg
    IMG_1331.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    553.2 KB · Views: 11
Just to give an update to this, I removed EGR valve. It wasn't too badly caked up but I tried pouring some fluid into it & it leaked out while closed. I decided to take it apart and used some grinding paste to lap in the valve to give it a good seal. 'Actual EGR position' is now -0.003mm. Hopefully this has fixed the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpeg
    IMG_1346.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1348.jpeg
    IMG_1348.jpeg
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    756.4 KB · Views: 27
It's not sorted :ROFLMAO: Fault came back first thing this morning. I'm not convinced it's the EGR

It's not sorted :ROFLMAO: Fault came back first thing this morning. I'm not convinced it's the EGR
Thats a real shame after all the good work you did cleaning it up (y) ! i suppose that the valves electrical components might have had it and a new one might be the answer?🤔- however they seem to be quite expensive!!!:eek: so swapping out to test might not be practical! :(wish you all the best sorting it!

Back