Technical DRL

Currently reading:
Technical DRL

Aldo64

Got to love Italian cars…wife’s 500 DRL has gone passengers side. Orders new bulbs and today changed the blown one. Before putting it back into the holder check it’s working. So far all good. Put it into the holder bulbs not working. Take it out and lo and behold starts working. Double check it’s in correctly put it back into the holder stops working. Take it out and works again. Done this a few times to the point I thought the wife was turning the ignition off and on 🤣. Checked the bulb holder best as can and it looks fine. Any ideas anyone? TIA

Hi thats a weird one for sure and quite annoying i bet! i would take the wheel off then pull,back or remove the wheel arch liner for access and have a real close look at as much of the wiring loom to the drl as possible (considering the limited access!) might be a broken wire or cracked insulation causing problem when you connect to the bulb by "stretching" the wire and breaking contact!? if you try to gently "ease "the loom forwards it might give you enough slack to stop it happening! let us know how you get on and what you find! good luck!.

Got to love Italian cars…wife’s 500 DRL has gone passengers side. Orders new bulbs and today changed the blown one. Before putting it back into the holder check it’s working. So far all good. Put it into the holder bulbs not working. Take it out and lo and behold starts working. Double check it’s in correctly put it back into the holder stops working. Take it out and works again. Done this a few times to the point I thought the wife was turning the ignition off and on 🤣. Checked the bulb holder best as can and it looks fine. Any ideas anyone? TIA
Hi, 🙂
They have all kinds of strange wiring /bulb options

Have a look at the similar posts below this one, I'm somebody will be along to advise, who has done this several times..

(I keep meaning to adjust my head slight aim.. Was looking around for the winding screws, and discovered "main beam" isn't even in the headlamp..! 🤔) face-lift Lounge model 2018

Twin filament bulb? Try gently bending out the contact wires and push firmly back into holder now whilst on but out of the cluster move around ,also move the cable to the socket on the rear of the cluster maybe even pulling the plug out and back in- not easy with the limited space.

Twin filament bulb? Try gently bending out the contact wires and push firmly back into holder now whilst on but out of the cluster move around ,also move the cable to the socket on the rear of the cluster maybe even pulling the plug out and back in- not easy with the limited space.
Yes correct bulb. I’ll try later
Hi, 🙂
They have all kinds of strange wiring /bulb options

Have a look at the similar posts below this one, I'm somebody will be along to advise, who has done this several times..

(I keep meaning to adjust my head slight aim.. Was looking around for the winding screws, and discovered "main beam" isn't even in the headlamp..! 🤔) face-lift Lounge model 2018
Many thanks will have a look see if offers any advice

SEARCH on here is great,

If you type DRL..
95% will be about the 500,
they are far from easy... People do struggle
For something that’s meant to be a simple car to work on the bulbs are terrible. Changed easier on my old 147 😂

Yep, only changed one, 2012 punto,
it's in the wing/back of headlight..
A 4 minute stood up job👍

Unfortunately the 500 compromised a Lot of things for style,
most panda jobs are 50% less work AND IT'S THE SAME VEHICLE!
As said at the start good old Italian cars. Most the same but different to work on

When you say holder, I'm assuming you mean the actual cluster rather than the "bulb holder with the wires attached" if so it could be the flexing of the wire however given how infrequently the wires within the cluster are moved its far less likely more likely the wires to the cluster plug/socket.
Out of interest what make bulbs did you buy?
The rubber cover was is on yes?
The inner wing cover still there?

When you say holder, I'm assuming you mean the actual cluster rather than the "bulb holder with the wires attached" if so it could be the flexing of the wire however given how infrequently the wires within the cluster are moved its far less likely more likely the wires to the cluster plug/socket.
Out of interest what make bulbs did you buy?
The rubber cover was is on yes?
The inner wing cover still there?
The holder takes the bulb fine. I think as people have said it could be the stretching of the wires although I don’t think I pulled them too much just enough to take it out to change the bulb. Both covers are intact and bought BOSCHE bulbs.

Yep, only changed one, 2012 punto,
it's in the wing/back of headlight..
A 4 minute stood up job👍

Unfortunately the 500 compromised a Lot of things for style,
most panda jobs are 50% less work AND IT'S THE SAME VEHICLE!
YEP for sure (y) but if you have any Italian blood in you?🤔- you know that STYLE IS EVERYTHING!🤣

Bit of an update. The bulb is working without issue!!!😂 said before for to love Italian cars!!

Back