General Driving a 6 speed - best practises

Currently reading:
General Driving a 6 speed - best practises

trfdevon

Scudo 120 LWB comfort, 127k miles, 2007.

This probably seems an odd thread, but is there a good way of using a 6 speed gearbox?

I have always changed gears fairly quickly, usually by the 2k rpm, however whilst this worked on 5 speeds, it seems the 6 speed is killing me on mpg, now loitering around 29.

What I have noticed is the ratios mean that in 6th doing say 40, the rpm is around 1500, but I would imagine that the ECU is pouring fuel in to the engine as it's almost labouring, but driving around town in 4th seems just as wasteful.

Are there any tips of suggestions to get the best out of the 6 speeds that can give me better fuel economy?

On a side note, the handbook says I can bring up an MPG display by pressing the right hand stalk top, but nothing happens then I press the end. Not sure if the feature is unavilable, or the stalk is faulty.

thanks
terry

I wouldn't let it labour at all, it's better to let it spin a little if anything. Change when you need, the rev. counter is interesting, but once you've got your ear in, use that.

Hi guys!
The secret is on how hard you press the acelareter pedal.

This cars are common rail (I think this is the right way to spelling :what: )
Anyway.
The turbo will turn om as soon as you press the pedal.

Try to keep your feet up :D

I'm I taxi driver and I managed to do between 32 & 34 mpg in town only.

hope this helps you.

[update] I have been a little lightfooted and dropped it into 5th more often and the MPG has risen to 35. Not quite the 40+ I was hoping for, but an improvement!!(y)

Terry

Back