Technical Drive shaft removal help please

Currently reading:
Technical Drive shaft removal help please

punisher1

I have a 2004 scudo 1.9d non turbo, trying to replace the o/s driveshaft but can't remove the knackered one ? I've undone the 2 11mm bolts on the bearing carrier, but still can't remove it, please help it's been off road for nearly 3 weeks trying to do it, thanks in advance

I have a 2004 scudo 1.9d non turbo, trying to replace the o/s driveshaft but can't remove the knackered one ? I've undone the 2 11mm bolts on the bearing carrier, but still can't remove it, please help it's been off road for nearly 3 weeks trying to do it, thanks in advance
Once those 11mm bolts with the funny shaped heads that hold the centre bearing into the carrier on the side of the engine are out, it can only be friction and corrosion holding it in. I would spray it with penetrating oil and if I couldn't shift it with a drift and a hammer from the gearbox end against that bearing I would try and get a slide hammer on the hub nut end. I have never had one not come out after a little "persuasion".
If you can't get a slide hammer, a couple of good Mole grips clamped together one against the other, set really tight on the shaft a few inches from the bearing but on gearbox side, a good clout with a copper mallet or similar should shift it by driving the Molegrips towards the O/S.
I would say that as an extreme solution as I have always managed to get them out with "love and kindness";)

Once those 11mm bolts with the funny shaped heads that hold the centre bearing into the carrier on the side of the engine are out, it can only be friction and corrosion holding it in. I would spray it with penetrating oil and if I couldn't shift it with a drift and a hammer from the gearbox end against that bearing I would try and get a slide hammer on the hub nut end. I have never had one not come out after a little "persuasion".
If you can't get a slide hammer, a couple of good Mole grips clamped together one against the other, set really tight on the shaft a few inches from the bearing but on gearbox side, a good clout with a copper mallet or similar should shift it by driving the Molegrips towards the O/S.
I would say that as an extreme solution as I have always managed to get them out with "love and kindness";)
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try today

Back