General 50 mph top speed it used to be double that scudo 06 sx dynamic jtd

Currently reading:
General 50 mph top speed it used to be double that scudo 06 sx dynamic jtd

stescudo

Hi, my scudo is running very sluggish, lack of pickup power and on the motorway it only goes 50 mph, it used to do over 80 mph. Just wondering if there is somthing easy i can do to fix this , before it goes to garage.

Not a lot of information to come to a diagnosis.
A simple thing to try: unplug the air flow sensor, if the van runs better that way it means the sensor is faulty.
Another simple thing to test: check all the air hises for leaks.
Nothing else I can think of that would make sense to try without (diagnostic) tools.

A simple thing to try: unplug the air flow sensor, if the van runs better that way it means the sensor is faulty.
Nothing else I can think of that would make sense to try without (diagnostic) tools.
Thank you for your reply, ive recently found out , when im in 1st - 2nd gear and push the accelerator peddle to the floor and hold it there so its screaming, then it kicks into action and runs perfect, untill u have to slow right down then its back to sluggish

Dont know where the Air flow sensor is, sorry

Dont know where the Air flow sensor is, sorry
The air flow sensor is at the back of the air filter box.
If you open the bonnet and look into the engine compartment from the front, the battery is all the way at the right. The black plastic box to the left of the battery is the air filter. At the rear end of the air filter is the air flow sensor. There is a plug at the right side of the sensor, just in front of the brake+clutch fluid reservoir.
A clip at the bottom of the plug prevents easy pulling out. Go with a finger of your left hand under the plug, when you feel the clip, try pulling/pushing it down while your right hand pulls the plug to the right. If you can't undo the clip with a finger, try poking with a small screwdriver. If that still doesn't work, you have to take the air filter box out. Undo the band or clip that holds the big rubbery hose to the back of the air flow sensor. That's the hose that goes down behind the engine towards the turbo and inlet manifold. Another big hose, where the air comes in at the bottom front of the air filter, is as far as I'm aware not fixed to the box so you should just be able to lift the air filter box off it. Turn it over so you can see the bottom of the air flow sensor plug, now it should be easy to unclip it and pull the plug. Put the air filter box back and reconnect the big hose at the back of the air flow sensor.
Go for a test drive with the air flow sensor unplugged. If the van runs better, the air flow sensor was causing a problem. You could keep driving with a disconnected air flow sensor, or get a new one.
If the van doesn't run better, the problem is something else.

What you describe about the van kicking into action at high revs, makes me think of a Turbo problem. I had that with the newer model of the same van, with 1.6 engine. The engine managment system habitually reacted to any (perceived) problem by opening the turbo waste gate, basically turning the engine into a non-turbo diesel. I've heard that this is quite a common annoyance with the 1.6. Haven't had the problem with the older 2.0 engine, but it might be worth checking it out.

If you have no experience at all then it would be very easy to break something.
Your best option is to take it to someone who knows what they are doing , sooner rather than later.
Please let us know the outcome .
Good luck

The air flow sensor is at the back of the air filter box.
If you open the bonnet and look into the engine compartment from the front, the battery is all the way at the right. The black plastic box to the left of the battery is the air filter. At the rear end of the air filter is the air flow sensor. There is a plug at the right side of the sensor, just in front of the brake+clutch fluid reservoir.
A clip at the bottom of the plug prevents easy pulling out. Go with a finger of your left hand under the plug, when you feel the clip, try pulling/pushing it down while your right hand pulls the plug to the right. If you can't undo the clip with a finger, try poking with a small screwdriver. If that still doesn't work, you have to take the air filter box out. Undo the band or clip that holds the big rubbery hose to the back of the air flow sensor. That's the hose that goes down behind the engine towards the turbo and inlet manifold. Another big hose, where the air comes in at the bottom front of the air filter, is as far as I'm aware not fixed to the box so you should just be able to lift the air filter box off it. Turn it over so you can see the bottom of the air flow sensor plug, now it should be easy to unclip it and pull the plug. Put the air filter box back and reconnect the big hose at the back of the air flow sensor.
Go for a test drive with the air flow sensor unplugged. If the van runs better, the air flow sensor was causing a problem. You could keep driving with a disconnected air flow sensor, or get a new one.
If the van doesn't run better, the problem is something else.

What you describe about the van kicking into action at high revs, makes me think of a Turbo problem. I had that with the newer model of the same van, with 1.6 engine. The engine managment system habitually reacted to any (perceived) problem by opening the turbo waste gate, basically turning the engine into a non-turbo diesel. I've heard that this is quite a common annoyance with the 1.6. Haven't had the problem with the older 2.0 engine, but it might be worth checking it out.
Thank you for all that info, i do some repairs myself and will do what you say, thanks, i will let you know how it goes.

Disconnected the Air flow sensor and it worked , there is just a very slight delay now before turbo kicks in but its great from what it was, can i drive with the sensor off ? and if so, why is it there. Thank you Scudiro.

Yes you can drive with maf disconnected but the mil light should come on. If the mil light is on for maf disconnect you won't know if something more serious happens to put mil on.
Plus it will run better/more efficiently with a working maf sensor connected.

Do not get a cheap Chinese maf sensor they may put the mil out but will cause bad running.

Good luck

Disconnected the Air flow sensor and it worked , there is just a very slight delay now before turbo kicks in but its great from what it was, can i drive with the sensor off ? and if so, why is it there. Thank you Scudiro.
Yes you can drive with maf disconnected but the mil light should come on. If the mil light is on for maf disconnect you won't know if something more serious happens to put mil on.
Plus it will run better/more efficiently with a working maf sensor connected.

Do not get a cheap Chinese maf sensor they may put the mil out but will cause bad running.

Good luck
Thank you, how will i know if its a cheap make, i will get it from my local spare shop, but could it still be a cheap make ?

Parts place with a physical address should be ok . Buying things through the post is where most of poor quality comes from.
Plus buying locally means you can easily return it if it fails early.

Glad you solved it !
As Jackwoo already said, having a good air flow sensor plugged in might lead to a further imrovement of engine performance and economy. It's just that in these engines the computerised managment system copes better without an air flow signal than with a faulty one.

Back