Technical Drivers seat problem

Currently reading:
Technical Drivers seat problem

Yazz

Hi All,

Re: 2003 Punto Active 1.2 8v, 3dr.

When I fold the drivers backrest forward to access the rear, the seat wont slide forward/return to prior position anymore. Stopped working few days ago. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to whats gone wrong/how to fix?

Thanks for reading and any info much appreciated.

Regards

Yazz

Good Morning Messrs Solidsnake and Varescrazy,

Abject apologies for the delay in replying; work for the NHS and I'm wilting.
Yep, does still slide forward using the front (underseat) lever but when using the upper tilt/slide knob nothing happens. Not well versed mechanically but I suspect a cable is the culprit. Any ideas Gentlemen how/where to look/fix? Thanks for reading Solidsnake and Varescrazy and all advice greatfully recieved. Best Regards Yazz

You are very welcome :)

I typed below.. and then had a re.read of your first message.. :eek:

IF the handle on the seat back frees it off to tilt forward.. then it would appear the cable there is still connected..

My recollection is that there is a little 'something'.. that the cable also drives on the seat bsse : runner mechanism

As below.. try and compare the 2 seats

Out of interest where is the car based?
Some kind soul might offer a repair.. or investigation :)

Me thinking of old Uno/Panda seats.. :eek:

Tip up the good seat..

Then move its release handle.. do you see a little hook: claw move under the seat?

Its been a while since a had a but suspect this is your issue.. the hook isnt releasing..

Pretty sure my 1st 188 had a problem where the tilt and slide were jamming each other..

But try and figure out where the hook: catch is.. and release it on the stuck seat..

Then you will know if its being worked by its handle..or not ;)

Charlie

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

All noted and appreciated. Leaving for 3 long shifts now- will look at it Sunday.

Best regards

Yazz

Hi Charlie,

Any pics would be very helpful as I'm not a natural techician. Didnt know the Mk 2b was called a 188. Looking at the "how many left" site when I owned a delighful 1993 Sierra Sapphire, once they are out of production fo a few years the population falls by 20-40% each year. Owned mine for 5 years and 10 months- great car and wont be parting with it.

Hi Charlie,

Your update noted. Will do. Yes, the backrest tilts forward but wont automatically slide the seat forward and, as it used to, return the seat to its prior setting; have to use the frontal underseat bar to slide the whole seat forwards to enble access to the rear.

Car, and I, live in Kent, DA15 but I travel to work in Dudley, West Mids.

Kind Regards

Yazz

Hi Charlie,

Yep, 350 mile round trip. Was gonna move but Covid screwed things up. Didnt want to turn down the job so here I am.

I do moniter fuel consumption to keep an eye on the health of the engine- do think a post about this would interest the 188 owners?

Regards

Yazz

I do moniter fuel consumption to keep an eye on the health of the engine- do think a post about this would interest the 188 owners?

Certainly :)

MPG is all about driving style and road conditions..

But tracking your own MPG is very good.. it certainly helps keep an eye on things

Low 40's was what my 2002 1242cc 5door did

Probably mid 30's in this weather though..
What are you seeing?

Hi Chris,

Quite a bit more- 58 mpg is typical. Must be noted that 95% is at 55-60 MPH on the motorway.

2,500 RPM seems to be a good compromise between noise and engine longevity/wear. In 5th that equates to 60 on the flat.

Very happy with my particular engine; no leaks, doesnt seem to use any oil/water and runs sweetly. Used a bottle of Redex last year- cant say I have noticed any difference- do you have an opioion on any engine tereatments?

Regards

Yazz

Back