Technical Drive-It day 2021, 'hiccup' under acceleration/load

Currently reading:
Technical Drive-It day 2021, 'hiccup' under acceleration/load

Ant Knox

Had a great day taking part in the Drive-it day fundraiser, in the good company of Lancias, Alfas and a gorgeous Fiat Dino spider.
The little Fiat drove really well, but I did experience what could only be described as a momentary 'hiccup' in power delivery under moderate load and acceleration.
Any tips on where to start with diagnosis? I suspect it may be electrical, but i'm not certain.

I'm sure more experienced guys/gals will comment but I had a possibly similar issue and it was cured by replacing the condensor. Only a few pounds unless you go for the performance version (forgotten the make) which should prevent recurrence.

Otherwise, the usual suspects...timing, tuning, tappets are the cheapest starting place.

The 'performance' condenser is made by "Swiftune"---part number:-SW-1G-CC.
The beauty of this condenser (and yes, it is more expensive than the normal ones---but it is also a darn site better made!) is that, due to the length of the wires on it, it doesn't have to be bolted to the distributor---it can be mounted next to the coil, well away from the hot 'cooling' air from the engine. Along with electronic ignition systems, condensers HATE heat, the prime cause of their failure.

Thanks guys, I'm hoping it's something straight-forward like the condenser.
The engine runs like a clock had it not been for this little fault, and it only happened twice over almost two hours of driving.

Back