Tuning Drilled airbox

Currently reading:
Tuning Drilled airbox

I was poring over Eklipse3k's Sei earlier - thats got a Focus kit, but has been modified to sit much lower in the engine bay.

Perhaps more important is the fact that it uses a very long length to reduce the bore of the induction pipe, so is probably less restrictive than most.

Brooky - sounds about right. IIRC the Sporting one sits over the TB and loves inhaling warm air.

Perhaps more important is the fact that it uses a very long length to reduce the bore of the induction pipe, so is probably less restrictive than most.

My best guess is that the length (and the sheer volume) of the focus kit is why it pushes the power low down. The GSR MPI one is a similar(ish) length, but is cunningly necked in at two points.

Obvioustly but in the OP they stated drilling holes in there airbox.. and let me think what happens when this is done hmmm.. it makes a louder noise when accelerator is applied plus lets all the sh!t in there engine brilliant!!

So instead of drilling holes and letting all the crap go in the holes just remove the filter and put your misses tight on the end atleast no crap is going to eventually *** up the engine.

Obvioustly but in the OP they stated drilling holes in there airbox.. and let me think what happens when this is done hmmm.. it makes a louder noise when accelerator is applied plus lets all the sh!t in there engine brilliant!!

So instead of drilling holes and letting all the crap go in the holes just remove the filter and put your misses tight on the end atleast no crap is going to eventually *** up the engine.

No, you drill BEFORE the filter, not AFTER it. So no need to remove the filter and fit tights. If you drill after the filter then you fail big time.

Drilling airboxes has been a practice thats been going on for years, long before people were making induction kits. But the idea has always been to keep the filter in place but allow more air into the airbox.

ahh i get you but surely drilling the airbox before the filter will only suck up hot air from the engine causing it to run like a bag of S*** where as my way sounds the best remove the filter then put something on the end of it so it blocks the stuff from going in but also makes it suck in more air due to the filter being removed.

my way sounds the best remove the filter then put something on the end of it so it blocks the stuff from going in but also makes it suck in more air due to the filter being removed.

Yeah that sounds best:rolleyes: why take the filter off and stick another ****ter filter on:confused: just get a K&N or equivilant pannel filter and drill the airbox and vent it.

How about a DIY ram air duct connected to the original airbox? :D
Could be done crudely with plastic hose and a sawn off funnel positioned behind the o/s grille.

In the comfort of a dry warm dustless garage, take the air filter housing off and start the engine. Then put your fingers near the throttle body opening and feel the 'sook' that you get off the induction.

Now work out how fast you'd need to be going to get any ram air going faster than that. Fingers might be going over the top at 160 mph, but its certainly 'lots' of mph.

Cheers

SPD

I'm not suggesting that my funnel and hose idea would work at all well, but might a similar system be beneficial at motorway speeds?

Isn't the function of a bonnet scoop to provide cool air at slightly higher than atmospheric pressure? Or am I wrong?

Last edited:
I was talking about ram air systems to a guy who RRed bikes & he said back in the late 90s some bikes seemed to run faster on the than their runs predicted &/or had holes in the mid-range on the RR that simply weren't there on the road. By putting the bike in front of massive fans instead of just directing air to the rad you could see huge gains in the mid-range &/or over 300mph's worth of power to the top end.

What those runs were seeing wasn't huge speed boosts because of the supercharger effect but the fact bike manufactures had optmised the intake track for ram air supply. This then got around that ram air intakes were really effective & suddenly you gain 5bhp at 60mph which is a load of BS if the intake track wasn't designed for ram air intake to start with.

Just found an image three quarters of the way down this thread.
According the OP it was quite effective
induction1.jpg

Back