Tuning Drilled airbox

Currently reading:
Tuning Drilled airbox

A rolling road doesn't tell the whole story with induction. That's what StoneNewt was on about... You'd need a wind tunnel to test that setup.

The thread I linked to was quite an interesting read actually. Intake design is a complex application of fluid dynamics and DIY intakes can be very hit or miss, some actually making things worse by reducing pressure in the system. Maybe the owner of the red Sei pictured just got lucky.

This is what a drilled one looks like (on a punto, but same idea)

LMAO......Whats the point???

Image425.jpg
Its a simple matter of physics......they are speed holes....for going slower and confusing the already panicked magnetti marelli fuel injection system.....

A rolling road doesn't tell the whole story with induction. That's what StoneNewt was on about... You'd need a wind tunnel to test that setup.

Maybe the owner of the red Sei pictured just got lucky.

And maybe I'll win the lottery next week!

A RR never tells the whole story. But it's one hell of a lot better than "seat of the pants"!

Im going to buy me a K&N for my sei sporting 1.1

I dont particularly want to gain performance nor loose it. All i want is a bit of growl. Will a K&N with a cold feed do the job?

I had a K&N fitted on my old Mk1 MR2 which increased the performance and sounded PUKKA! But im wondering if the much hotter running seicento engine will have a negative effect on the induction........

Can i get some feedback from someone who has had or is currently using a K&N filter....;)

Cheers
Benjamin

if u don;t care about performance just drill the ****ing airbox that will giveu sound.

Infact take the top hat off the standard airbox and cable tie down the filter.

That way it will save yourself some money

Ming

if u don;t care about performance just drill the ****ing airbox that will giveu sound.

Infact take the top hat off the standard airbox and cable tie down the filter.

That way it will save yourself some money

Ming

Will the performance loss be MEGA? Or un noticeable....?

Spose i cud whip it of now and go 4 a spin down the road.....:slayer:

BRB :D

Ok it does sound good without the front bit of the box on :slayer:

But i can imagine some BHP loss that way.

But i have seen another DIY method.....>

As you can see the hole that the air comes through is pathetick.

DSCF1989.jpg

cut 1 or 2 holes & add a couple of cold feed pipes from halfords to the front of the box then run the pipes to the front grille. add a peice of mesh in front to stop leaves stones ect from getting into the box. this will improve the airflow but not too much as to screw up the injection. Plus the air wont be heated as much as the intake air on a drilled box. and if you sell the car just super glue the two peices of plastic that got cut out back onto the box. This definately improves the sound. and supposedly gains you a couple of HP due to improved airflow & air coolness.

DSCF1988.jpg

Could this be the brekthrough we tight arses have all been waiting for...... Or is it worse than drilling the box :yuck:

(personally i wud get front box peice from the scrappies and keep an unmodded one to waz back on if it is hurting the car)

I honestly, didn't think anyone would of thought i was serious ..

As for your idea, i would rather just leave it as it is. If ur tight, then might as well not spend any money at all.

Or just drill the thing no point spendig money in those hoses thing.

Ming

Back