Technical Dreaded rattling

Currently reading:
Technical Dreaded rattling

Hi All,

I know there a loads and loads of threads on rattling, but any ideas.

1. over big bumps (extra s*** roads) there is a loud rattle from the door: this I am pretty certain is the metal door locks (whatever they are) and will fix them soon.

2. I had a rattling from the rear drivers side suspension (sounds like it) a few months ago which has now progressed to the point where it is there even on 'flat' roads. I suspect this maybe to do with by abarth essesse springs?

3. Under hard acceleration, the exhaust rattles at the rear. This was only after exhaust UK fitted a reducer pipe to the full exhaust. Is this just a simple rattle against the body of the car and simply needs tightening maybe?

Any help is appreciated!

Sam

which Is what I thought it might be anyway, but i never thought that would account for the rear knocking aswell?

oh well its worth a try. Oh and by strikers, do you mean the metal bits which can be seen when opening the door near where the car model stamp is?

thanks mate

thanks a lot andy!

the noise is like someone tapping on a plastic bottle with a bit of creaking. Most certainly coming from the rear drivers side.

Ive been putting it off as Im not in a position to pay for anything until after my holiday but its getting worse.

i would go for the simple checks first i chased a noise like this down on my last GP it did my head in for about a week till i found it

jack car wheel off give the shock a good check (the rubbers top and bottom) check the bolts are tight

i found after also checking the rear beam bushes that it went away in the rain. or warmth.....

so went back to it again crammed spring compressors in (you could drop the rear beam)

then remove your coil spring.....

clean up the 2 rubbers that the spring sits on and the body work it contacts then using a RUBBER SAFE grease (I used silicone grease) normal lithium Lm2 will attack rubber over time......

put a smear on the bodywork and beam areas where the spring rubber sits and on the rubber then offer them back up smear lightly where the spring sits in the rubber then put the spring back in...

and in my case atleast NO MORE NOISE :woot:

brilliant cheers Andy!

i will post what it is when i find it, but you know me, it will probably be a few months unless it gets too bad and I know it needs doing.

Infact, where abouts are the shocks/rear beam bushes because i might go look now?

thanks Andy

Upper spring rubber
upper spring rubber.jpg

upper shock mount under plastic cover and rubber bottom out stopper
upper shock bush.jpg

Lower spring rubber mount (red) lower shock bush (orange)
lower spring rubber and shock bush.jpg

rear beam pivot bush
rear beam bush.jpg

Last edited:
I had creaking when going over even tiny bumps, or undulations in the road. It sounded like the rear suspension, but I thought it can't be as I have replaced all shocks and springs on my car. I then decided to wrap masking tape round the door catch thingy's and the creaking went away!!

you cant see a lot as the upper shock bush is inside the metal bracket......

same with the rear beam pivot only way to check is to get it up in the air safely and give them a good shake and tug even then you cant always re create play that half a tone of car can create

Back