Technical DPF regeneration

Currently reading:
Technical DPF regeneration

les1466

Hi Guys, bought a 2016 Fiat Doblo 1.3 Maxi from he auction. Van is in excelent condition, however. when I drove it away I noticed a filter warning lighting up and message saying, "Regeneration, see hand book", and that the start and stop wasnt working. I rand my broher who is clued up, well more than me, and he told me to drive it on the mororway in 3rd gear and it should clear it. I did this and the warning light went, however, the engine warning light come on instead telling me to check the engine. I have a cheap reader so plugged that in and it said it was the particulant filter....

Anyway, I then found some paperwork in the van as it was an ex electricity board van. It had all the details about the van and mentioned about about the filter, the warning sign and how to clear it using a proceedure something like this:

The van must be warm and temperature gauge should be in the middle.
Put the van on a level surface, open the bonnet, turn the key to the on position and press the brake and accelerator pedals at the same time for 10 seconds. This would then cause a warning light to flash and then you could stat the engine and burn off all the sut from the system.

I tried this and it didnt work????

I read the next page. It stated that when the filter warning comes on, you must do thi proceedure within five hours of use or it will need a forced regeneration from a deeler....

Ok, my question is, does anyone know how to get it back to the stage where the yellow filter light was coming so I can try this proceedure without it costing an arm and a leg from a Fiat deeler or worse, a machanic that trys to tell you you need to change the who filter system, like I just got off some tit that tried to charge me the earth!!

If it can only be done by a forced regeneration off a proper car comuter, how much should I be looking at to get this done? Im in Manchester if anyone can do this at a good reasonabe price.

Thanks
Les

You have to first consider that the car was at auction with this warning light on, it’s ex fleet which means the fleet manager decided to ditch the van rather than repair it.

It is quite possible before you get carried away with this, the the real only solution is to replace the DPF and I’m sorry to say this does cost silly money.

You can however download the MultiEcuScan software here https://www.multiecuscan.net/

Pay for the full version (about £50) and get yourself some cables off eBay for fiat vehicles
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-FIA...VAG-CAN-AIRBAG-ABS-MULTIECUSCAN-/253091652910
So £85 but if you plan on keeping your fiat for any length of time it will pay for its self many time over.

With this set up you can access the engine ecu fully, see the status of the DPF filter, the pressure differential and the number of regenerations and when it last regenerated. It also allows you to reset all engine and any other ecu warning lights and activate a forced DPF regeneration.

Warning now however, you could do all of this and still need to replace the DPF filter.

Another thing to also check is always that the pressure sensor is working before you assume it’s the filter, I’ve been hearing a few stories recently of people paying out hundreds for it to turn out to be the pressure sensor.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
No I dont think it was in the auction because of a bad filter, it was exactly 3 years old. A lot of fleet vehichles go when they are that age.

this sounds a good idea with the software, hwever, Im pretty sure this will only be for PC. Im all Apple, everything. Why dont these manufacturers make software that will work on proper computers!!??? Thats another argument there.

I will definately look into this as I do plan on keeping the vehicle as I need it for my job.

Someone suggested disconecting the neutral lead from the battery over night, as it would reset the onboard computer. Is this right or just rubbish??

Thanks
Les

No I dont think it was in the auction because of a bad filter, it was exactly 3 years old. A lot of fleet vehichles go when they are that age.

this sounds a good idea with the software, hwever, Im pretty sure this will only be for PC. Im all Apple, everything. Why dont these manufacturers make software that will work on proper computers!!??? Thats another argument there.

I will definately look into this as I do plan on keeping the vehicle as I need it for my job.

Someone suggested disconecting the neutral lead from the battery over night, as it would reset the onboard computer. Is this right or just rubbish??

Thanks
Les

Disconnecting the lead will do nothing.

Software is for PC, I’m sure there are some on here who could recomemd an emulator to run it from a PC.
It also pretty basic software, I have a n old netbook I use, which is about 10 years old, you can buy these now for about £10 - 20 on eBay in working condition.

Im sure my son my have an old crappy laptop haning about, im sure that'll do.

I'll defo look into this, thanks for the help.

Just a quicky Andy, you know the link for the leads. Do I need to by that full set to make the software work with the laptop? or just one?

Thanks
Les

I would get a full set, I’m not sure specifically what your car will need, but different modules require different adaptors, the yellow one for body computer on my car, the green adaptor for the abs ecu on one of my older cars and the red one for air bag ecu. You can need multiple adaptors for one car.

Plus they will come in handy if you ever get a different fiat group vehicle.

Last edited:
Just a quicky Andy, you know the link for the leads. Do I need to by that full set to make the software work with the laptop? or just one?

Thanks
Les

Hi,
You need an ELM 327 to USB interface and a A3 "Yellow" adaptor To access the engine and service reset on your Doblo. Access to airbags, power steering etc varies depending on exact model and electroinc fitted. This set
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Diag...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Will do everthing on a late model Doblo.
An old Windows XP laptop is ideal and they can be picked up literally for nothing. Big advantage is that if you drop it or whatever when working on the car you have not lost an expensive new laptop.
Don't buy a cheap, <£12 Elm interface, they have a design flaw and don't work properly. Also don't be tempted to use a cheap rip-off copy of the software, apart from not being up to date many disks have viruses on them.

Robert G8RPI.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for these answers guys, really appreciate it.

Just bought the leads off the link.

So if I buy this software : https://www.multiecuscan.net
I will definitely be able to do a forced regeneration on my Doblo??

The reason I ask this is, I just took it to a local garage who stuck it on his £3000 diagnostics machine and was going to charge me £70. After half an hour of trying he said, £3000 for this machine and I can't do it on it!!".

Why do I always go for Italian motors haha.

Please let me know if this will definitely work as I am not mechanically minded and hopefully I won't have to have a super masters degree in physics to sort it out.

Thanks
Les

You have to first consider that the car was at auction with this warning light on, it’s ex fleet which means the fleet manager decided to ditch the van rather than repair it.

It is quite possible before you get carried away with this, the the real only solution is to replace the DPF and I’m sorry to say this does cost silly money.

You can however download the MultiEcuScan software here https://www.multiecuscan.net/

Pay for the full version (about £50) and get yourself some cables off eBay for fiat vehicles
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-FIA...VAG-CAN-AIRBAG-ABS-MULTIECUSCAN-/253091652910
So £85 but if you plan on keeping your fiat for any length of time it will pay for its self many time over.

With this set up you can access the engine ecu fully, see the status of the DPF filter, the pressure differential and the number of regenerations and when it last regenerated. It also allows you to reset all engine and any other ecu warning lights and activate a forced DPF regeneration.

Warning now however, you could do all of this and still need to replace the DPF filter.

Another thing to also check is always that the pressure sensor is working before you assume it’s the filter, I’ve been hearing a few stories recently of people paying out hundreds for it to turn out to be the pressure sensor.

Your positive I will be able to do a forced regeneration with this software mate. Im want to buy it but want to make sure I will definitely be able to do it.

Cheers
Les

I can do a forced regeneration using the MES software on my 2011 1.6 multijet punto

That said I cannot 100% guarantee that you’ll be able to do this with your car. Depending where you are there maybe someone local to you on the forum who would plug in their copy of mes to check for you.

I also can’t say if that is the exact pipe you need for your car, but it is a really good price if it is, I’d contact the seller and see if they can confirm this off the vin number of the car.

Last edited:
I can do a forced regeneration using the MES software on my 2011 1.6 multijet punto

That said I cannot 100% guarantee that you’ll be able to do this with your car. Depending where you are there maybe someone local to you on the forum who would plug in their copy of mes to check for you.

I also can’t say if that is the exact pipe you need for your car, but it is a really good price if it is, I’d contact the seller and see if they can confirm this off the vin number of the car.

Cheers mate, i'll contact the software company, hopefully they'll be to tell me before I buy.

The exhaust piece was listed for my van but after contacting the person selling them he stated that my van was too new and id only be able to get the DPF from Fiat... Well why the f**k advertise it stating it will fit my van then???!!!
While Im on that... If I did get one, cheap like that, and got it changed... Would that instantly resolve the problem and reset all the internal computer etc??? Or would I still have a load of messing around to do??

Thanks a lot for all your help, I really do appreciate you guys taking the time.

Les

Cheers mate, i'll contact the software company, hopefully they'll be to tell me before I buy.

The exhaust piece was listed for my van but after contacting the person selling them he stated that my van was too new and id only be able to get the DPF from Fiat... Well why the f**k advertise it stating it will fit my van then???!!!
While Im on that... If I did get one, cheap like that, and got it changed... Would that instantly resolve the problem and reset all the internal computer etc??? Or would I still have a load of messing around to do??

Thanks a lot for all your help, I really do appreciate you guys taking the time.

Les
You would still need a diagnostic system to tell the ECU it has a a new dpf fitted

Where abouts are you as there may be a member on here with the software who can hel

You would still need a diagnostic system to tell the ECU it has a a new dpf fitted

Where abouts are you as there may be a member on here with the software who can hel

Im in Salford mate, near Langworthy rd area. But I can go and meet someone if they can help me out anywhere in Manchester.

Thanks
Les

I know some will have a dig because I work for an oil company... but a lot of these issues can be avoided by running on decent diesel. Could cost 10-12p / litre more, but they’re formulated to prevent this kind of thing.

I know some will have a dig because I work for an oil company... but a lot of these issues can be avoided by running on decent diesel. Could cost 10-12p / litre more, but they’re formulated to prevent this kind of thing.

I’d go with that.

I have also been seeing a lot of stuff about the oil recirculated into the engine from crank case breathers also fouls the exhaust and adds to the particulates clogging the filter.

Im sure this is true. The problem has not been caused by me, Ive only just bought the van. However, I really do want to keep it in tip top condition as its my work vehicle and need it to run correctly.

Thanks for the recommendation.

How do I find out if there's a local member Chris? Is there some way to find out?

Les

Back