General door

Currently reading:
General door

zilart

Hi all

im back with another question,
ive just got a 2002 punto elx, now when i open the drivers door it creeks like mad, but its not the hinges its that silver metal strip thing in the middle that goes from the frame into the door to stop the door opening to wide.when i open the door and watch it, it seems to jump abit and move. ive try'd oiling it with wd40 and its made no diff anyone else got any suggestions how to stop this as its getting on my nervs now.

No, you don't have to live with it.

It's the door check strap. Buy them from the dealer (you have to take the door card off to remove them at the scrappy and they are probably worn), about £25 from memory

Well worth doing. I had a hideous clack clack on my side until I replaced it.

Basically the pin wears out the hole it goes into, you'll see excess motion as you shut the door.

Might get away with just tightening it. I did on mine

I think it's a ROLL-PIN, looks like a tube..!!,

as stated it will wear a groove in the pin,

on my sons CINQ, I got a drift / length of metal bar, and GENTLY tapped it downwards,
onto a new undamaged part of the pin = Silence..job done,
Charlie

on my sons CINQ, I got a drift / length of metal bar, and GENTLY tapped it downwards,
Charlie

It's normally the other way round on the punto, the pin (bolt) is ok, but the bushing it sits in (check strap) gets worn and elongates into an oval.

There's no way to tap the pin down, it has a head at the top and nut at the bottom....

Ah the beloved check strap problem

Its common as every punto door i seem to come into contact clunks

You've got 1 of 2 setups

1 a flat headed one with a nut
I jammed a screwdriver under the flat head and tightened it up

2 a helpless system

The best way - buy new

Apprently you can get it through the speaker hole with no problem - but never replaced them

However Make sure you get the correct one

Right age
Mk1
mk2/ mk2b

Same doors 3 or 5

Ebay says the mk2 / mk2b has universal ones ie can go on either side

Ziggy

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

Charlie

Mine was slightly loose where it bolts to the car. makes quite some noise from that aswell

Back