Technical Door Mirror Swap

Currently reading:
Technical Door Mirror Swap

Hi, has anyone swapped the earlier (small) electric door mirrors for the later (2010) larger ones? Is it a straight swap or is there different wiring or other control issues?
TIA

Sorry I don’t know if the electric mirrors pre and post 2009 are a straight swap

I suspect they will be.

Looking at photos some seem to have the same connectors while other are bigger. There’s no guarantee the photo are of the actual item on eBay as often sellers put stock photos up

I feel heated mirror or those with temperature sensor will have different connectors to just electric

I suspect if you message someone like https://ultimatestyling.co.uk/fiat-...3Ab_B5TCbqW0hTqBW75W3t_9JDMP1i6oaAiZgEALw_wcB they would know

So short answer I don’t know

I did a quick search and couldn’t find a person that had done the electric mirror swap. Manual yes.

Sorry I don’t know if the electric mirrors pre and post 2009 are a straight swap

I suspect they will be.

Looking at photos some seem to have the same connectors while other are bigger. There’s no guarantee the photo are of the actual item on eBay as often sellers put stock photos up

I feel heated mirror or those with temperature sensor will have different connectors to just electric

I suspect if you message someone like https://ultimatestyling.co.uk/fiat-...3Ab_B5TCbqW0hTqBW75W3t_9JDMP1i6oaAiZgEALw_wcB they would know

So short answer I don’t know

I did a quick search and couldn’t find a person that had done the electric mirror swap. Manual yes.
As they fitted the new mirrors to the169 at the end of production. -- We have one with the big mirrors -- its pretty certain they will be a straight swap. I ordered my 4x4 with electric mirrors but these were not fitted - just like the advertised 90HP engine- fortunatley neither has been missed much. Worst case might be different wiring plugs, but easily resolved if you retain the old wiring loom. As you can reach the passenger mirror from the drivers seat its not too difficult to adjust manually. Trouble is I know Im second class!

Thanks Koalar. The wiring diagrams seem to be the same for the 2009 switch over year, but all the aftermarket ones have different colour wires. Ideally i was after a genuine set from a breakers, but haven't found a set yet. I’m in no rush, but would like a larger mirror 😁

I can confirm that while I dont like the look as much the big mirrors are a big improvement in terms of visibility. I have found breakers yards on lime have actually been quite a good source for mirrors, My mother used to knock her mirrors off about twice a year......

If you work out which is earth, you can easily work out which live does what by powering each in turn. Repeat the process on the new / donor mirror and you can lable the wires and if necessary resolder the connector correctly. Connect two of the mirror wires one to + and one to - and move the - untill you have signs of life. You then know which is the earth.

I can confirm that while I dont like the look as much the big mirrors are a big improvement in terms of visibility. I have found breakers yards on lime have actually been quite a good source for mirrors, My mother used to knock her mirrors off about twice a year......

If you work out which is earth, you can easily work out which live does what by powering each in turn. Repeat the process on the new / donor mirror and you can lable the wires and if necessary resolder the connector correctly. Connect two of the mirror wires one to + and one to - and move the - untill you have signs of life. You then know which is the earth.
Thanks Panda Nut. Thought i would update and possibly close this thread down. I’ve managed to purchase very cheaply a used set of larger electric mirrors from a one year younger Cross and can confirm that the wiring is a direct swap (both new and old mirrors are the none heated type). As soon as I’ve repainted the caps (hopefully next week), I’ll get them fitted. As you say Panda Nut, i prefer the look of the smaller mirrors, but for the improved visibility the swap is a sacrifice I’m happy to make

I replaced my original small ones with large ones. (Car is Jan 2006 build, Eleganza spec) These were electric, but not heated. A straight swap.

Using used ones form a scrappy seems a great idea. They were scarce when I did mine, so I got aftermarket ones. These, like most aftermarket ones are really LHD mirrors, so both glasses are out to their max adjustment, and still show a bit too much of the car. The gain in view is still better than corrct small ones though.

Aftermarket ones came without the foam gasket. Made my own with B&Q draught excluder strip.

Some before and after photos.
5F68D3EE-0C65-4B76-89BE-1E007B8E890F.jpeg
6535C7B4-DE92-4E58-AFDB-3E0091C67C17.jpeg
FE739E53-0343-4882-A0B8-BA8EAE24A602.jpeg
17488397-5489-4B76-95FD-88469D27D6E8.jpeg

Back