Styling Don’t crucify me, but I put a wing on my 850 Spider…

Currently reading:
Styling Don’t crucify me, but I put a wing on my 850 Spider…

Matt129

Alright, wanted to get some opinions on this. I recently found a carbon fiber wing at a thrift store, in remarkably good condition, for dirt cheap, and I couldn’t help but put it on the Fiat lol. Don’t crucify me, but I kinda like how it looks. Originally I was just going to put it on ironically for fun, but it is genuinely growing on me. And it helps that I didn’t have to drill any holes into the engine cover to mount it since the mounting holes lined up with the vents. I should add that I do plan on Rally racing/auto crossing this car at some point in the future, so that wing will have at least a somewhat functional aspect to it lol. (Ignore the messy garage and the battery charger)

Attachments

• 6AD64D4A-5877-4B7C-B255-1B7D3C764E70.jpeg
    6AD64D4A-5877-4B7C-B255-1B7D3C764E70.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 64F63529-89BF-41A4-8513-E64F6DA91CAF.jpeg
    64F63529-89BF-41A4-8513-E64F6DA91CAF.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 48
  • CC47984D-E66F-48F6-91F8-D2CA4E5E954E.jpeg
    CC47984D-E66F-48F6-91F8-D2CA4E5E954E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • AE89EC21-2298-4CEF-AD4B-B18D2F06251E.jpeg
    AE89EC21-2298-4CEF-AD4B-B18D2F06251E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
It looks like something from the Max power era about 20 years ago, I wouldn't have got it even if it was on offer but each to their own
Given it’s simplistic styling for a wing this large, it’s likely the wing is about that old give or take even though it’s in great condition, so that makes sense.

You’re very likely to bend all those grill slats, even at relatively slow speeds

As much as the purist in me hates it. I can't help but admit it does seem to look right on that car. the dimensions are spot on..... still, it's just wrong, funny, but wrong.

I agree with Porta, if you are going to fit it, you should probably clamp some sort of metal plate to the underside of the grills extending forwards and backwards to prevent it bending all the grills....

also make sure its not providing more lift that downforce the angle of the back of the car would appear to be pitching the leading edge upwards

You’re very likely to bend all those grill slats, even at relatively slow speeds
I was genuinely surprised once I got it fitted, it has a little flex if you put a lot of force on it but is surprisingly ridged.

As much as the purist in me hates it. I can't help but admit it does seem to look right on that car. the dimensions are spot on..... still, it's just wrong, funny, but wrong.

I agree with Porta, if you are going to fit it, you should probably clamp some sort of metal plate to the underside of the grills extending forwards and backwards to prevent it bending all the grills....

also make sure its not providing more lift that downforce the angle of the back of the car would appear to be pitching the leading edge upwards
My thoughts exactly lol. I originally wanted to put it on the car ironically like when Miata owners put a HUGE wing on their cars, but then I got it mounted and I was like, “dang… that works a LOT better than I was expecting”. I have it adjusted to give as much downforce as the design of the wing allows it to, the steep rake of the engine cover really limits how far forward it can tilt, but it seems at least in person to be *just* far enough to provide downforce instead of lift lol.

Back