Technical 1968 850 Spider Ignition Switch Wiring

Currently reading:
Technical 1968 850 Spider Ignition Switch Wiring

shughes

I have just purchased a 68 850 Spider and have discovered the ignition switch has a wiring issue. It has simple spades instead of a plug and in trying to sort out the wiring connection to the correct terminals I have found that every wiring diagram I find is different than my actual car. I have a larger pink, brown, black and red wire along with smaller black, blue and black (x2 tied together) and a blue wire. My switch contains terminals numbered 30 (x2) and none labeled 30/1 as some wiring diagrams suggest, 50, int (x2 tabs, 1 terminal), 15/54 (x2 tabs 1 terminal) and #16. Any help would be appreciated. The factory fiat 1968 manual I have shows the switch has INT X2, 15/54, 30, 50 and doesn't show a solid blue wire or a pink wire. It also shows 2 brown. I have found several pics online and a couple other schematics and all of them are different. Thx Stacy Switch.jpgWiring.jpg

Hopefully a Forum Member will have more specific knowledge.
However in general terms using a voltmeter how many live wires do you have? I am assuming the thick brown is the main battery feed to the ignition switch (pin30/1) a (pin30) should also be live and gives constant power to some fuses irrespective of switch position, Int seems to be to headlight switch and the thinner red possibly the starter wire(pin50)? . (15/54) appears to power up some of the fuses when ignition on.
I know this may not be a lot of help, but to cheer you up further the ignition switch and presumably any after market 8 terminal ones also are identical to Lada 1200 ones we used to have to replace in the showroom on brand new cars due to the contacts burning out in less than 10 miles of demonstration miles back in 1976:(.
What I would do is identify the main feed probably the thick brown using a voltmeter and put it on pin 30/1? then put a voltmeter on pin 50 and see if it becomes live when key in the spring loaded start position, if another wire is permanently live put that on the other pin 30/30/1?
Then using meter find out what powers up the coil etc. possibly pin 15.
For safety sake it may be an idea to put a 15 amp fuse between the main batter feed to pin 30 and 30/1 whilst testing all this.
Hopefully someone on Forum will be more precise than me.
It was the start position in the switches which used to burn out , so once wiring correctly identified it may be an idea to fit a simple relay on the feed to the starter solenoid to handle the power.
Another point when testing any suspect electrical connection is just to "brush" the wire across the terminal to see if it works, then if it gives a large spark you hopefully don't cause further damage.;)
Looking at your photos of wiring terminals and the switch it's self you are not the first person to be involved with it which always adds to the problems.:(

1698770042648.png

Last edited:
Well that is genuinely a good bit of help. Yes thick brown straight to the battery and red to the starter. I will take your advice and give it a go this weekend. I'll check back with the results in case it could help someone else. Thx Stacy

Thanks, if possible do use a temporary fuse to protect when testing as even if I am correct there is nothing to say someone in the past hasn't done some other wiring modifications.;)

Back