General Don't cheap out on drop links.

Currently reading:
General Don't cheap out on drop links.

Mikeldn88

18 months ago I had to change the front top mount bearings on my 08 grande punto. whilst the shocks were out, the mechanic asked me to change the drop links

I made the error of buying drop links from eBay as the car was in the garage. (Independent guy that had bad credit with motor factors #smfh).

I only do 4.5k max per annum and the car has progressively started to knock on every bit of uneven road.
Took the car to another mechanic (without lift) and he couldn't diagnose the issue. The knocking stopped when I took him for a test drive 😤

Took to another garage this afternoon and initially he couldn't find the issue. I took him down some rough roads and he had another look ok the ramps.
He says the drop links are likely shot and the ARB bushing look worn.

The cheapskate in me thinks the drop links are the only items that need replacing. I've ordered Meyle HD drop links (4yr warranty) parts this time and will cost around £50 for install, which is reasonable.

What's the chance of knocking still there if I don't do the ARB bushings? I know the bushings will cost a load of labour and want to avoid.

Thx

18 months ago I had to change the front top mount bearings on my 08 grande punto. whilst the shocks were out, the mechanic asked me to change the drop links

I made the error of buying drop links from eBay as the car was in the garage. (Independent guy that had bad credit with motor factors #smfh).

I only do 4.5k max per annum and the car has progressively started to knock on every bit of uneven road.
Took the car to another mechanic (without lift) and he couldn't diagnose the issue. The knocking stopped when I took him for a test drive 😤

Took to another garage this afternoon and initially he couldn't find the issue. I took him down some rough roads and he had another look ok the ramps.
He says the drop links are likely shot and the ARB bushing look worn.

The cheapskate in me thinks the drop links are the only items that need replacing. I've ordered Meyle HD drop links (4yr warranty) parts this time and will cost around £50 for install, which is reasonable.

What's the chance of knocking still there if I don't do the ARB bushings? I know the bushings will cost a load of labour and want to avoid.

Thx
Anti roll bar links tend to make a light rattle whereas the anti roll bar bushes if worn tend to make a deeper knock which you may feel under your feet possibly.
It may be possible on full lock to get a tyre lever or similar and check for movement in the anti roll bar bushes where they are bolted to the subframe area.

My 2012 is still on its originals..
My 07 covered 30k without any attention.. so they are not renowned for wrecking them :cool:

My sons 08 had a random knock.. came and went... local garage diagnosed which side and fitted fair quality one I had on the shelf for £10
Thats been good for the last year and a half :)

Last edited:
Anti roll bar links tend to make a light rattle whereas the anti roll bar bushes if worn tend to make a deeper knock which you may feel under your feet possibly.
It may be possible on full lock to get a tyre lever or similar and check for movement in the anti roll bar bushes where they are bolted to the subframe area.

When I viewed under the car, the mechanic grabbed the ARB (just above the exhaust) and gave it a shook. The near side droplink had a little knock.

I will take the car to another mechanic in the morning to get a 2nd opinion.
Think the foolproof method is to remove both drop links and drive a few meters to see if there's still knocking. Not really an option though.

Just received my Meyle HD drop links from the ebay seller and he sent two different part numbers.

Checked these against autodoc numbers
616 060 0012/HD (MSL0526HD) Grande Punto 301mm Length
716 060 0022/HD (MSL0559HD) Ford/Volvo 300mm Length

The big question is will the 1mm throw the tracking?

As I'm having a garage do the install, I will ask the seller to send me the correct part. Kinda frustrating, as I would had use the pair if the were both 300mm or 301mm. 301mm and 300mm is just illogical :mad:

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    724.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Obviously you didn't receive the correct part. 1 mm seems minimal, but maybe it'd make the bushing wear out much sooner than usual. I'd ask the seller to send a correct part and if they'd refuse, i'd just open dispute on Ebay. Next time it's probably a better idea to order from bigger webshops like Autodoc, Mister-Auto, Trodo. They almost never send wrong parts and you can be sure that they're genuine.

Changing droplinks is not a very difficult job if one knows how to open stuck nuts and bolts without rounding them.

Finally got the drop links replaced on the car and it drives like new again. Everything tight, steering more responsive and no more bleeding knocking. (y)

Had the ebay seller send me a replacement item so they're paired up 301mm both sides. Logic tells me the guarantee wouldn't hold if I were to fit the ford item on my car.

Anyone looking up on drop links, don't buy the cheap stuff. They're cheap for a reason! Stick with the brand people suggest like Meyla, Lemforder.

Finally got the drop links replaced on the car and it drives like new again. Everything tight, steering more responsive and no more bleeding knocking. (y)

Had the ebay seller send me a replacement item so they're paired up 301mm both sides. Logic tells me the guarantee wouldn't hold if I were to fit the ford item on my car.

Anyone looking up on drop links, don't buy the cheap stuff. They're cheap for a reason! Stick with the brand people suggest like Meyla, Lemforder.
Hi, read your post and thought I would input!

I agree cheap is never the best option- I have done the same over the last 3 years I have had 3 sets of drop links but this is not just down to cheap eBay parts but the road I live on which is a farm track…
Also check other suspension parts as I have rebuilt my car from the subframe all the way to the top mounts and I can say for sure- if any other components are worn they will wear everything else out too!

The first set of drop links on eBay - I spent £12😂 2nd £18 and 3rd £24.

The 3rd set actually say HD Heavy Duty. This makes a difference for sure as they have been on for over 7 months now.

Still amazed you can rebuild the bottom half of a GP off eBay for less than £300 but Iv done it and it’s amazing having a 07 car that drives like it’s new! Worth the effort me thinks👍🏻

Back