Technical Boot light stays on

Currently reading:
Technical Boot light stays on

Marcusmax

Hi all. As the title says, my boot light won't turn off when the boot is closed. So I've just taken the bulb out so as not to drain the battery. I took off the boot trim and took out the latch assembly and cleaned the contacts where the cable plugs in but no joy. Anything else I can try, or do I just need a new latch? Thanks.

Hi all. As the title says, my boot light won't turn off when the boot is closed. So I've just taken the bulb out so as not to drain the battery. I took off the boot trim and took out the latch assembly and cleaned the contacts where the cable plugs in but no joy. Anything else I can try, or do I just need a new latch? Thanks.
Do you have a 'Boot Open'. Symbol on the dashboard..?

I just checked and no I don't. Should there be one? I can open the boot with the button on the dash alright.
Usually the same as "door open"..

Either a picture with Red Lights.. Or a message on the LCD mileage display panel

The tailgate latch is the likely suspect

If the dash says its open/shut reliably it's a good test

Do you get 'door open' warnings?

Yours sounds like this..

Maybe it's a control issue?

@ailsa 🙂
Ah right I'll check that thread. I did a quick search before posting but missed that. :confused:;) Are the controls for turning the light out and showing the door open warning housed in the latch? When you say a control issue, is that what you are referring to?

Ah right I'll check that thread. I did a quick search before posting but missed that. :confused:;) Are the controls for turning the light out and showing the door open warning housed in the latch? When you say a control issue, is that what you are referring to?

It Could be the body computer..

See if @ailsa responds..

I think it's odd, with the warning light not working... Could be basic wiring /earth problem 🤔

Will revisit this tomorrow 🙂

I don't see him commenting on the earth in that thread?

When I got the car a few years ago, the break light strip wasn't working so my mechanic fixed that. Maybe there was damage to the connection(s) for the boot controls as well. It does open with both the internal button and the key fob though. I was going to order a new latch but sounds like that mightn't even be the problem..

Strange that one is OFF and another lamp is ON
Yes it is strange, however if the light in the boot stays on despite any ‘switch’ in the latch being on or off, then when it’s opened the same switch or wiring might be failing to also signal a door open. I could see how the two issues might be affected by the same problem. I’m going to fiddle around with it a bit more now, try and inspect the wiring at the hinge etc. I also have sourced a 2nd hand latch but am reluctant to buy it unless I’m sure that’s where the problem lies.

A lost Earth connection is a possibility..

Check the hatch wiring first,🙂
Hard to see much there, so little of the wiring is exposed when I pull back the rubber boot. If I disconnect the plug from the latch, the light goes out so it is connecting to the latch. Could well be something amiss within the latch itself..

Edit: I just tested it some more. It actually is switching off on its own after about 15 mins. I can live with that. The only thing is it stays on if the car is unlocked, including with the engine running. Seeing as I don't leave it unlocked for any length of time when not driving and it won't drain the battery at all when I am, again I can live with that. The bulb will probably blow more often though. Still, if I could get to the bottom of this and get it working properly again, that would be great. Plus I still don't get a door/boot open warning light.

Last edited:
Back