Doing something to a car to use your breakdown?

Currently reading:
Doing something to a car to use your breakdown?

not always i was in a mk1 punto, the diff fell apart put big hole in casing and totally locked drive shafts and dropped oil all over the road, i rang and told them what happened and that it it was un towable, but they still sent a man in a little van first

Yeah mate that's why i said dependen on the time of day, so say night time when they have limited petrol, then they are more likly to sent a pick up instead.

Ming

at the end of the day it's only tax, now like i'm never going to tax it and i'm sure if i was gunna wipe a family out on the road if it was taxed or not wouldn't make much of a difference.

i've had the RS recovered with no tax and no MOT before, the bloody fuel pump packed in on the way to an MOT re-test.

too much hassle though and not worth the risk being stuck with a car i can't drive on the road miles from home, i've got a lend of this trailer but going off the MPG my dads car does towing the caravan it's cost around £100 to get there and back, probably not worth it.

well then stage a break down, and when he turns up, say you was on your way to the mot station for mot?

RAC reufsed to recover my car because the tax disc wasn't in the car (it had blown out the window ~2 days before). Despite the fact the DVLA website showed it as taxed for another 3+ months. They wanted me to pay up front for the recovery, and then claim it back after I proved it was taxed?

strange, when i smashed the stilo up, they asked me if it was driveable if repaired at the roadside or could be towed by a van, to which I said it couldnt and wouldnt... they sent a low loader

maybe because they was using contract recovery firm, so wanted to make sure it was needed to try and save them money

The majority of AA breakdown vehicles are now equiped with recovery equipment capable of lifting one axle of the broken down car off the road. In this situation, the car is classed as a trailer and therefore doesn't need to be taxed. However, for a car to be legally classed as a trailer, it must be genuinely broken down and incapable of being moved safely under it's own power. It would be the attending patrol's responsibility to ensure that the car was genuinely broken down.

think you will find thats all changed Daveren to comply with the trailer regs it (the car would have to be type approved as a trailer)

An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

Years ago a mate used to own a Jag & he'd visit a relative in Scotland a few times a year. Of course, it'd cost a fortune to drive there & back so he always set off back after tea on sunday & 'conveniently' break down by a phone box (pre mobile days).
"I was driving home when there was a bang & the steering suddenly went heavy".
He'd conveniently removed the power steering belt.
Of course, there's nowhere to get a new belt on a Sunday teatime so he'd get the breakdown to tow him/lift him home.
Now, even back then, breakdown companies talked to each other & he quickly got a bad name from the various ruses he used & fairly soon, no-one would touch him.

Back