Technical does the punto mk2 have a reverse synchro?

Currently reading:
Technical does the punto mk2 have a reverse synchro?

does the punto have a reverse gear synchro? or do you have to put it into 1st or 2nd then reverse to prevent it from crunching?
There is no synchro. The gears have to stop moving before you can select reverse. Gear selection becomes harder once the teeth on reverse are chipped so the gear will not slide to one side. You then have to move the other gear in the gearbox slightly using the clutch before you can select reverse.

There is no synchro. The gears have to stop moving before you can select reverse. Gear selection becomes harder once the teeth on reverse are chipped so the gear will not slide to one side. You then have to move the other gear in the gearbox slightly using the clutch before you can select
thanks, it's my first car and I've just rebuilt the car and was reversing it for the first time, the car would grind when put in reverse from neutral. is this just my gearbox worn then ?

thanks, it's my first car and I've just rebuilt the car and was reversing it for the first time, the car would grind when put in reverse from neutral. is this just my gearbox worn then ?
If the car is not moving and you wait for the gears to stop moving there should be no grinding. Grinding means the engine is still driving the gears. How can there be grinding if the clutch has disconnected the engine from the gearbox? Something is not right.

Hi :)

You have to ensure nothing is still spinning in the geartrain

So vehicle stationary and brakes applied

Then dip the clutch and attempt to engage reverse
thanks for the reply, my car is grinding when i put it in reverse,
If the car is not moving and you wait for the gears to stop moving there should be no grinding. Grinding means the engine is still driving the gears. How can there be grinding if the clutch has disconnected the engine from the gearbox? Something is not right.
i looked it up and the the reverse gear doesn't have a synchro, therefore it needs to be put into a forward gear and then put in reverse ? maybe because the gearbox oil was changed and it was cold? hope the gearbox is good:(((

Judderbar already stated there is no synchro ..

Reverse gear is significantly different to the forward gears in most manual cars

If you are following the ritual of 'a pause' before selecting reverse

Then you probably have a clutch issue..

If its cable operated..play with the adjustment

If... like my later punto... its hydraulic and does this, decide if you want to Spend £50 in parts and 2 hours work..

Or just drive into spaces.. and select reverse before starting the engine :)

Judderbar already stated there is no synchro ..

Reverse gear is significantly different to the forward gears in most manual cars

If you are following the ritual of 'a pause' before selecting reverse

Then you probably have a clutch issue..

If its cable operated..play with the adjustment

If... like my later punto... its hydraulic and does this, decide if you want to Spend £50 in parts and 2 hours work..

Or just drive into spaces.. and select reverse before starting the engine :)
thank you! this has cleared it up alot, mine is hydraulic, the clutch slave cylinder actually leaked loads of brake fluid and i had to bleed it, but I'm sure there's still air in the system, do you think this could be to do with this ?

Back