Technical Does anyone know how to test the hydraulic pump on a Fiat 500L?

Currently reading:
Technical Does anyone know how to test the hydraulic pump on a Fiat 500L?

Bic44

I am absolutely stuck. My car (my ONLY car) has been sitting in the garage parking lot for 2 weeks. They had it in and scanned it, but that's it. It's throwing the code P1CC0. The Dodge dealership locally scanned it as well, and checked all the fuses. Now what needs to be done is check the hydraulic pump, since that's what the code is for. It says it's stuck off.

It all started last spring after an absolutely torrential rain. I went out to the car, started it and when I shifted, it just says 'gear not available'. The sun came out, and a bit later it was good to go. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. Drove through an awful ice/snow/rain storm. Everything was slush. The next day I went out and it wouldn't start. Also it was bitter cold (I'm in Canada). Got it towed to Dodge, and they kept it there during the weekend. That's when they scanned it and checked everything. Went to talk to them Monday morning when they opened. Paid them, and then we discussed the car. I asked if I could start it inside. Lo and behold it worked. Drove it home, then two days later after driving all over the place, I was out in another storm. Next day I drove it to work, then when I went to go home, same thing - gear not available. It's been sitting at the little shop next door ever since. Apparently it takes over a week to test the hydraulic pump (sarcasm). I live in a small town and NOBODY will touch it. I got the wiring schematics from Dodge, and have asked several shops if they'd trace wires (provided the hydraulic pump test ok) and got a resounding no as soon as they hear Fiat. The nearest dealer is 300km away. If I could at least test the pump myself, that would take out one step

Any advice or suggestions are very helpful!

Just as an edit - when it works, it does so flawlessly

Last edited:
SOLVED! So, my brother was doing some research and saw an issue where a little control module was under the wheel well (behind the left front wheel). It's not very well protected. We took off the plastic inside of the wheel well and it was right there. We took the unit off, pryed it open (carefully!) and sure enough there was all kinds of condensation and corrosion). Since Dodge here wanted about $700 for this small part, we took it home and warmed it up, cleaned the connectors, and when we put it back together and sealed it better. Voila, the car works! I'm going to search for one off a wreck or something just to have it. Once you know where it is, it only takes a couple tools to get off.

Also, this has been an issue Dodge has had for 20 plus years. So they must have some input on the wiring for this car

Great post. Im really glad your moving again, so frustrating. Its sad that you have no decent mechanics about where you are. Fiats are not black magic, just a little unusual. Why they are unable to ransfer their knowledge is beyond me. Lots of great design in Fiats but some really stupid engineering on occasion. I suppose its mostly dry in Italy and they just dont think about such things.

Back