Technical doblo dpf issue

Currently reading:
Technical doblo dpf issue

It wont regen on a short journey when the car is barely up to temperature so there's little point wasting your fuel!

Had similar worries about DPF myself upon getting our Multijet 1.3. I bought Fiatecuscan software and ours was reading 98% clogged. Took the car on an hour long run down the motorway (70mph+ in 4th gear gets some strange looks from other drivers). Upon return I reconnected the software to find the clogging level now at 17%. This is on the original DPF on a 2006 car. I also bunged in some DPF cleaner to see if it helps keep the levels low because with fuel at the current prices I don't want to have to drive like that too often. Also, the DPF cleaner "claims" to lower the temperature needed for passive regeneration of the DPF. Don't know if it is true but £30 is worth a shot rather than a new filter.

You're right, I'll stop revving and driving around in 2nd gear! My ABS light flashed on this morning then went off again and everything fine. Just a bit worried as this is what happened at the start of all my problems with dpf etc! Could it be that I need a new battery?

I too have a 2006 multijet 1.3. DPF cleaner sounds like a good idea as a preventative measure - I'll try that too, thanks. Would you recomend buying the Fiatecuscan software? Bearing in mind I am a complete novice at car mechanics...I'm willing to learn if it saves me another £1000!

From what I have read, strange intermittent warning lights might be a battery issue but don't quote me on that.
Fiatecuscan will perhaps give you some peace of mind as to whether your DPF is becoming an problem again or not. Personally, I am going to use it to monitor the speed at which it becomes clogged again as our car is mainly going to be used around town by my wife.
If it requires the "Italian tune up" down the motorway too often, then I will be considering removing the DPF altogether and having the car remapped.
I know it is there for a reason, but I bought the car primarily for economy (and seven seats) and having to take it for a "good run" every so often doesn't fit in with that. I have had other diesels for years but this is my first with DPF fitted and so far I don't much see the point (sorry all environmentalists!).

I bought mine for more or less the same reasons. I love the 7 seats, or 5 depending on how many passengers I have, and was shocked at how economical it was (in a good way). Until now of course. I will do some research into whether or not it's worth me buying Fiatecuscan if I have no knowledge of engines and no means of fixing my car myself....

I have to say I am a bit of an environmentalist, but am tempted to have the DPF removed. How can driving up the motorway for 30 miles every week for no reason and not driving 'like a granny' ie uneconomically justify keeping it in. Partic when you have to dish out 1000 to get it fixed. I would have thought not doing unecessary journeys and keeping the revvs down would be more env friendly? Just a bit concerned about what it means in terms of insurance and selling it on.

Hi Hercules,

I've a doblo cargo maxi, 2.0, wouldn't start after a 4 minute stop, this after 3 and half hour motorway driving in italy. recovered to fiat dealer. asked if i'd had my lights on! i said yes it was dark . . . he said it's the battery, changed battery and all ok. Point being it was making smelly dpf regenerating smell for a 800+ motorway miles previous to that and was 7 months old, 45000 miles. All sorted under warranty but as you can imagine i was amazed when he asked if i'd been driving with my lights on!!! IMHO Definitely worth checking the battery. It's been good as gold since then.

I have the dreaded dpf problem AGAIN. Getting really annoyed now. Had the eml turn on on Tuesday and the code was for the dpf. Got magic dpf cleaning fluid put in and light reset by my very kind mechanic who had only done this for me 7 weeks ago. He didn't charge for the code reading this time. :) He mentioned that there may be a software update for my 2006 1.9 multijet 120 that could make regenerations easier. Anyone heard of this? I read it once but can't remember where. Also, the handbook says the dpf light should come on to warn me of a regeneration being needed. It only flashes on start up, never when driving.

fiat doblo 2008 1.9 multijet
40k miles mostly short journeys

Firstly the back box of the exhaust fell off (rusted through)
Then red oil light came on

Car became really sluggish and stalled often on pulling away (could still go up to circa 3000 rpm though)

Had back box replaced and oil/oil filter changed (and reset I believe)

Then orange engine management light came on.

Diagnosed as failed air flow meter - replaced at a cost of £260. Was told the original one installed wasn't

the correct part...

Engine managment light came back on shortly after raising revs on the motorway. It remained on for about 2

weeks but the car slowly got less sluggish and back to normal.

Then again on rising revs about a week later, engine light came on again and minor sluggishness returned.

Then the light went out and car was fine. Then light came back on again and minor sluggishness returned.

Having read lots on this excellent forum, took it on the motorway for 40mins at 4000 rpm. Didn't see any

smoke but it must have got pretty hot.

Concerned about taking back to the garage as expensive replacement last time seems to only have had a minor

benefit. Can anyone suggest a course of action?

Thank you

PS. I'd be quite up for buying my own scanner software/leads etc. to try and nail down the problem - can

anyone recomend a particular type/supplier?

Back