Technical Fiat doblo Fuel systems issues???

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat doblo Fuel systems issues???

STEVE ROB

Hi l have a Doblo 1.3 D multijet although l have done some trawling through old threads l can't find my vans systems
So if someone could please advise me l would be great full.
1 it takes an age to start 5 or 6 attempts, ( small amount of white the dark smoke )
2 periodically when engine is under slight load Em light comes on and will go off a day or so later
3 when excelerating there is sometimes a lag as tho the engine is hesitating but then runs fine
4 Tried a hill start and it started straight away .
I have changed the battery ,Fuel filter ,and a friend has fitted a non return valve after the fuel filter housing and run fuel system cleaner through the system .
Thanks in advance Steve

Last edited:
Hi l have a Doblo 1.3 D multijet although l have done some trawling through old threads l can't find my vans systems
So if someone could please advise me l would be great full.
1 it takes an age to start 5 or 6 attempts, ( small amount of white the dark smoke )
2 periodically when engine is under slight load Em light comes on and will go off a day or so later
3 when excelerating there is sometimes a lag as tho the engine is hesitating but then runs fine
4 Tried a hill start and it started straight away .
I have changed the battery ,Fuel filter ,and a friend has fitted a non return valve after the fuel filter housing and run fuel system cleaner through the system .
Thanks in advance Steve
A few points, firstly I would strongly advise against "bump starting " down hill or anywhere with diesel vehicles due to the shock loading owing to much higher compression etc. and in particular on chain driven small Fiats that use a "free wheeling " crankshaft pulley that relies on the torque of the pulley nut to grip the crankshaft. I once bought a 06 Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet for £300 some years a go that had engine damage due to their idiot "mechanic" towing it in an effort to start as even the new starter and battery they had fitted would not operate, considering the relay that controls the starter also controls the fuel pump in the tank so no fuel was even getting to the engine they could have towed it for a 100 miles @100mph and it still wouldn't have started! All they did was make the "free wheeling " pulley slip and damaging the engine. Incidentally after repairing the damage thy had caused, the actual problem was a rotted wire by the ECU that triggers the relay!
Going back to your vehicle re starting, firstly I assume it has good compression and engine it's self is sound.
Next are the heater plugs all working correctly?
Another point is any air getting into the fuel system, less relevant on yours with a fuel pump in the tank to prime the system (I assume you can hear the pump in tank when you first turn on ignition before cranking?) the reason I mention this is I had an 03 1868cc? non turbo Doblo van that due to it having a Lucas EPIC injection pump relied on that to draw fuel from the tank , unfortunately the plastic pipe connectors at the tank were leaking allowing air into the fuel system, I proved this by gravity feeding the injector pump from a 5 litre can on the wing and it started and ran fine until it drank all the fuel. Rather than the then £200 for a Fiat fuel line I used a short length of fuel hose and clips £4. which fixed the problem.
Finally it may help if you can get a good diagnostic tool MES or similar and read the common rail pressure when cranking as if low it may be a problem, worn injectors or fuel injector pump can be the reason. It may find stored error codes which can point to the fault.:)

A few points, firstly I would strongly advise against "bump starting " down hill or anywhere with diesel vehicles due to the shock loading owing to much higher compression etc. and in particular on chain driven small Fiats that use a "free wheeling " crankshaft pulley that relies on the torque of the pulley nut to grip the crankshaft. I once bought a 06 Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet for £300 some years a go that had engine damage due to their idiot "mechanic" towing it in an effort to start as even the new starter and battery they had fitted would not operate, considering the relay that controls the starter also controls the fuel pump in the tank so no fuel was even getting to the engine they could have towed it for a 100 miles @100mph and it still wouldn't have started! All they did was make the "free wheeling " pulley slip and damaging the engine. Incidentally after repairing the damage thy had caused, the actual problem was a rotted wire by the ECU that triggers the relay!
Going back to your vehicle re starting, firstly I assume it has good compression and engine it's self is sound.
Next are the heater plugs all working correctly?
Another point is any air getting into the fuel system, less relevant on yours with a fuel pump in the tank to prime the system (I assume you can hear the pump in tank when you first turn on ignition before cranking?) the reason I mention this is I had an 03 1868cc? non turbo Doblo van that due to it having a Lucas EPIC injection pump relied on that to draw fuel from the tank , unfortunately the plastic pipe connectors at the tank were leaking allowing air into the fuel system, I proved this by gravity feeding the injector pump from a 5 litre can on the wing and it started and ran fine until it drank all the fuel. Rather than the then £200 for a Fiat fuel line I used a short length of fuel hose and clips £4. which fixed the problem.
Finally it may help if you can get a good diagnostic tool MES or similar and read the common rail pressure when cranking as if low it may be a problem, worn injectors or fuel injector pump can be the reason. It may find stored error codes which can point to the fault.:)
Hi thanks for taking the time for such a comprehensive reply. Bump start will be a definite no no now but at the time l needto get home .l will make some checks tomorrow
Thanks again Steve

Back