Technical Disturbing noise...

Currently reading:
Technical Disturbing noise...

calum

Driving home last night, my b suddenly developed a rattling/clicking noise, just after I turned a corner it seemed. Coming from somewhere behind the steering wheel, by the sound of it. Like a fast regular 'ticking' noise while idling, becoming somewhat irregular whilst revving.

Someone suggested the heatshield, but I investigated again this morning and the noise doesn't appear to be mechanical, or at least, not dependent on the engine running-- it starts as soon as I turn the ignition to the first position, before I've turned the engine over. It continues after the usual fuel pump whirring, and there are no dashboard indicators lit that shouldn't be. For the want of a better description, it sounds like I've got a woodpecker behind my dashboard!

Any ideas?

Last edited:
From your description it could be a relay opening and closing in rapid succession. If you can pinpoint it down to a relay then a straight replacement may cure it. Most of the relays though are situated on the passenger side.

Is the heater fan on? Might be it, or something stuck in the pipes.
Somebody else suggested the heater fan too, but the noise is present whether it's on or off.

Listening to it again today, when it's not as noisy as it was yesterday, it does indeed sound like the clicks are coming in pairs, so maybe the relay theory is right. I've uploaded a sample here, if anyone wants a listen...

Maybe get yourself one of those mechanics stethascopes and see if you can track it down that way? You should at least be able to pinpoint exactly what's playing up.

possibly the windshield wipers in limbo mode?
you might have hit the stalk during the turn

switch them on/off a few times, it might be the wiper trying to settle "under" the rest position

btw do you blinkers still work? it could be that relay also... it happened to me once that i suddely "lost" the indicators..
i had to pull over, switch off the engine, put on all four blinkers, and then start the car again before i regained control over the indicators.

probably a sticking relay... ...bloody italian electronics

Last edited:
possibly the windshield wipers in limbo mode?
you might have hit the stalk during the turn

switch them on/off a few times, it might be the wiper trying to settle "under" the rest position

btw do you blinkers still work? it could be that relay also... it happened to me once that i suddely "lost" the indicators..
i had to pull over, switch off the engine, put on all four blinkers, and then start the car again before i regained control over the indicators.

probably a sticking relay... ...bloody italian electronics

The indicators still work, yes. I don't think it's the wiper thing either, because IIRC I actually had them on last night while I was hearing the noise. Certainly worth checking later when I get a chance, though.

:chin: Hmmmmm, odd one.......is the noise from inside the cabin? I would agree with SS, its almost certainly a relay of some sort although what one is anyones guess! If it happened when the engine was running then I would suggest it could be the cable in the tacho on its way out...........

If its coming from inside the car take off the cover under the steering wheel and see if you can locate it, IIRC there are only 4 screws holding the plate on.....

If its coming from inside the car take off the cover under the steering wheel and see if you can locate it, IIRC there are only 4 screws holding the plate on.....
Certainly sounds like it's inside, so I'll give that a go tomorrow.

My electric window relay/control unit did the same. All the control worked alright.
Just put your hand under the passenger side console and feel around for relays and push them all firmly to their sockets - should do the trick. At least the window relay is quite big and easy to locate and also get loose easily from all the vibration of this wonderful piece of italian engineering...

My electric window relay/control unit did the same. All the control worked alright.
Just put your hand under the passenger side console and feel around for relays and push them all firmly to their sockets - should do the trick. At least the window relay is quite big and easy to locate and also get loose easily from all the vibration of this wonderful piece of italian engineering...
Thanks, will certainly try that. (I have to admit the windows are the one thing I haven't tried since I heard the noise!)

It also might be the laser head from your cd player trying to track the disk. My dad's Skoda Superb had that. He was listening to the radio, but the laser head was trying to track the cd all the time and a "tik" "tik" was going on all the time. Have a look.

I don't bloody believe it!!!

The missus and I had to nip to the shops earlier and on parking up mine began to make exactly the same noise!

It is electrical and coming from under the cover where the window wiper motors/linkage sits so I have a feeling it may have been a wiper relay that has become a little damp.

It was raining VERY heavily and I had also jet washed under the bonnet on Saturday so have probably helped induce the problem, ran the wipers for a few mins on the way home and the problem disappeared! It's too wet to go and investigate now but I will take a look and let you know what I find................. :confused:

Back