General Discs & pads - pricing?

Currently reading:
General Discs & pads - pricing?

larkim

Established member
As I've said before, I know nothing about car maintenance. However, I suspect I need my front discs and pads replacing so I called Mangoletsi for a quote. £244 fitted for front discs and pads, £210 for rear discs and pads. Does that sound reasonable?

Matt

I payed about £50 for my rear discs and pads; the fitting I had my brother do for free. So, it sounds expensive to me...:eek:

I recently got ferodo premium pads (front + rear) and brembo MAX disks (front and rear) and paid 185 euros (about 120pounds) for the lot. (y)
Fitting was cheap as a friend only took 50 pounds. Look around, these seem pricey(n)

PS: dont go for original FIAT pads. They squeak like hell!! :D

Fitting the front pads and disks is a piece of cake. The rear disks are easy too, but the rear pads are a real pain if you dont have the special tool to push the caliper piston in to fit the new pads. That was were I got stuck and seeked for pro help. DocOrangePeel has a very nice Guide on his site for this. Check it out.

Doing them myself sounds feasible I guess, though I'm wary of taking my life (literally) in my hands!! Is it really so straightforward? Encouraging words gratefully received (particularly if I save ££££!)

Matt

Doing them myself sounds feasible I guess, though I'm wary of taking my life (literally) in my hands!! Is it really so straightforward? Encouraging words gratefully received (particularly if I save ££££!)

Matt

I'd rather trust myself on my brakes than some YTS apprentice.

I'm guessing the B's brakes are similar to bravo/brava/marea?

Its easy !!

What would I need tool-wise? Sometimes the outlay on this sort of stuff can be significant. All I've got at home is the usual domestic tools. Would I need a "proper" jack or would the one in the boot do? Do I need torque wrenches so that I apply the right amount of force to the bolts etc?

I would like to do it, just need nudging in the right direction!

Matt

OK, the tools look reasonable - I've got the hex set and sockets already, so a jack and some axle stands sets me back £30.

Recommendations on parts for pads and discs? My B is a daily user, country roads on the way to work so the brakes get plenty of use.

Matt

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago and fitted Lucas/TRW discs and pads all round, so far they have been fine. (y)

I do enjoy driving in an energetic fashion and have quite a lot of country lanes around my area, so far I have not experienced any brake fade or binding, in fact for fast road driving I cannot complain at their performance.

A word of advice when it comes to changing the discs and pads; fronts are easy just make sure that you have a pile of bricks or a axle stand handy to balance the front calliper on while you change the disc. Rears can be a complete ball ache (mine were and are still not 100%), take the callipers off the car, stick 'em in a vice and make sure that you have the right tool to screw the pistons back in. They take a hell of a lot of force and you need to turn and push at the same time - it took me about 45 mins per side to get the pistons back!

Good luck, as long as you don't have any seized bolts it should only take 1/2 a day to do the lot.........

As a side thought why not paint the callipers while they are off? ;)

Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-PUNTO-GT...ryZ23013QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got these and are very happy. Ask for them to be Zinc coated too. this is free.

If you are interested in some front pads, i have brand new Green EBC fast road pads . They wouldnt fit my calipers as i have the older style lucas ones. Will fit 1997 onwards i guess. There brand new in the box and are better than the OEM pads.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
If you do decide to go for som cheap discs, remember to paint/spray the hub and rims of the pad with Hammerite. And while you're there, also spray the 'plate' (wossitcalled?) behind the disc. And spray the calipers red, of course :)

Attachments

• CIMG8617.JPG
    CIMG8617.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 12
  • CIMG8813.JPG
    CIMG8813.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 24
OK, I've bitten the bullet (cheered on by you guys) and ordered some pads and discs from EBC. I've just gone for their standard pads and discs, rather than the Green Stuff and slotted discs, on the basis that if I make a complete horlicks of this then I've not wasted toooooo much £££.

So now I get onto the real idiot question - axel stands - where do I put them? I presume there isn't a single axel spanning the car at the front, so where are the right safe spots to put the stands? Come to think of it, where do I put the pneumatic jack too?

What's likely to be the single hardest thing to do? I had a look at the guide to replacing pads and discs on the about.com website, and they make it look easy..... Winding the piston back seemed to me to be the one thing that looks like it needs some effort - any tips?

Cheers!

Matt

Back