Technical Trailing-arm replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Trailing-arm replacement

Yesterday I replaced the right rear trailing-arm and wheel-bearing. Not particularly difficult; just a whole lot of individual steps.
I encountered two problems. One I was able to solve; the other I was able to fudge a temporary fix.
The first problem was repositioning the brake caliper. I was able to wind back the piston with a large pair of pliers, but sliding the piston over the brake pads was blocked. I could get one bolt in, but the second would not align. I finally discovered ( the eureka moment :) ) that the back of the brake pad has a small teat ( for lack of a better word ) that needs to align with the open cross on the face of the piston. Then everything just slips together and the bolts align. I've never experienced this on another car, so comments are welcome ;) .
The second problem was removing and refitting the ABS sensor. No amount of coaxing would get it out. Convinced that I was going to need to replace it anyway, I gave it a sharp tap with a heavy hammer and it popped out without breaking.
The new trailing-arm has a large hole for the sensor: +/- 14mm. But the old sensor housing is much smaller: +/- 8mm.
To get the b back on the road I fudged it and just screwed it into the too large hole and hoped for the best. No ABS light burning on the ride home ;)
But this is not a viable solution.
I think that the new trailing-arm is made for the 46404402 sensor which has a short cable and a large fitting.
My b has the long cable sensor 46547232 with a small fitting.
I was thinking to use a rubber grommet, a short piece of hose, or even knead-able epoxy. There might even be an adapter-piece from Auto-Doc ;)
Any comments or ideas are welcome.
grtz
Eric

Back