General Difference between Mk2 Punto Sporting and HGT

Currently reading:
General Difference between Mk2 Punto Sporting and HGT

KingRoLo

Is there any other difference between a Mk2 Punto Sporting and HGT other than the engine? Reason being is that im thinking of selling my Mk2 Punto Sporting for an upgrade to a Mk2 HGT and was wondering if the HGT had better stopping power or any other differences, maybe in the suspension? i have no idea :)

Also did FIAT ever manufacture a 1.4 or 1.6 Mk2 sporting? seems like quite a jump from a 1242cc to a 1.8HGT, this always had me perplexed.

thnx

They did a 1.4 sporting in the mk 2.5 (the later one with the funny grill) In figures terms its little faster outright but has some useful extra torque, shares the engine with the Panda 100hp

The diffrence would be more expensive parts for the Punto HGT than the Sporting you have the now, insurance grp 14 (i think) and not to mention you will probably notice your mpg will not be so good average is around 28 - 32 mpg, also the Variator its self will set you back £400 - £500 to fix unless you have a good warranty, the Variator is a common problem on the 1.8 engines. It is a nippy car though 0-60mph in 8.6 secs with 130 bhp standard of a top speed 127mph, the handling is top notch, loads of goodies inside as well.

The MK2.5 Punto Sporting 1.4 is not much diffrence but cheaper i would say, the insurance grp is 7, the average fuel consumption is around 38 - 42 mpg, nippy as well 0-62mph 9.6 secs standard bhp is 95 and top speed is around 111mph, but ive heard ones saying it can least hit 120mph, the goodies you get, i only know a couple are ABS, air conditioning, driver airbag, passenger airbag, front side airbag, central locking theres also optional extras if you can find one with them im sure they include sat nav, cruise control, electric sunroof ect..

The MK2.5 Punto Sporting 1.4 is not much diffrence but cheaper i would say, the insurance grp is 7, the average fuel consumption is around 38 - 42 mpg, nippy as well 0-62mph 9.6 secs standard bhp is 95 and top speed is around 111mph, but ive heard ones saying it can least hit 120mph, the goodies you get, i only know a couple are ABS, air conditioning, driver airbag, passenger airbag, front side airbag, central locking theres also optional extras if you can find one with them im sure they include sat nav, cruise control, electric sunroof ect..

Never seen one of these for sale, maybe because im confusing it with the Mk3 shape.

You get ones on ebay all the time for sale www.ebay.co.uk, just type in Punto Sporting 1.4 in the search bar and it should find one or two, also as fishdude said the HGT has only a 5 speed the Sporting has the 6 speed gearbox, heres some pics of the 1.4 Sporting.

sporting14bkpg1.jpg

sporting14frontbs3.jpg

sporting14enginebz6.jpg

sporting14interoirmh7.jpg

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
can i fit hgt clutch to my 1.2 60hp punto?

cause i have some problems,when the car is on the normal working tempeture it won't go over 2k rpm,i mean rpm goes to 3k and on but the wheels don't speen

sry for bad english

can i fit hgt clutch to my 1.2 60hp punto?

cause i have some problems,when the car is on the normal working tempeture it won't go over 2k rpm,i mean rpm goes to 3k and on but the wheels don't speen

sry for bad english

No - Pretty sure HGT uses a larger flywheel

if the clutch is slipping, it just needs replacing

If the engine isn't able to work that well then its time for further diagnostic time

Ziggy

thank u ziggy

as i excepted ,hgt clutch is larger true

tommorow i'm going to mechanic to inspect cluch and the other elements inside :)

i suspect on the flywheel but we'll see

thank u ziggy

as i excepted ,hgt clutch is larger true

tommorow i'm going to mechanic to inspect cluch and the other elements inside :)

i suspect on the flywheel but we'll see

Bet the flywheel is fine tbh, they rarely fail or you've seriously run the clutch past the rivets in which case it'll have eaten that flywheel

I bet it's clutch - or the input bearing seal has leaked onto the clutch
if the seal is dead, the bearing is too, replace both before refitting the gearbox

Ziggy

my partner has a 2004 HGT low milage punto mk2/2b shes looking to get rid of as were expecting our 2nd baby and need something bigger

Last edited:
You get ones on ebay all the time for sale www.ebay.co.uk, just type in Punto Sporting 1.4 in the search bar and it should find one or two, also as fishdude said the HGT has only a 5 speed the Sporting has the 6 speed gearbox, heres some pics of the 1.4 Sporting.

sporting14bkpg1.jpg

sporting14frontbs3.jpg

sporting14enginebz6.jpg

sporting14interoirmh7.jpg

The HGT is very quick, i dont know how you can say that a 95 BHP in the same car is going to be as quick as a 136 BHP???

and isnt it said time and time again on here that the 6 speed is meir gimiky and that the ratios dont allow any more for performance, infact a few years ago my mrs had a T reg 1.2 16v sporting and my mate bourght a 2001 6 speed 1.2 sporting and her punto was quicker

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back