Did someone say 500lb ft of torque at 120rpm :-0

Currently reading:
Did someone say 500lb ft of torque at 120rpm :-0

some of the later merlin engines were super charged and the griffin, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

jay leno's "tank car" used the merlin engine too, very similar to this, but built before this(y)

Last edited:
Theres something very very special about a 27L V12.

Especially when you see the block - its probably at least 1.5m long - the supercharger's the best part of the size of a 1.1 FIRE block.

Reminds me...I need to get my app in for the work's Heritage Trust - they have 6-10 of these things in various states of repair amongst other interesting metal

No its been around for 20 years....used to have full RR regalia on it then burnt out.

Theres urban myth around the patch that whoever was responsible for Corporate Identity at the time within RR - Ltd. (it now falls under PLC group Corp Comm's section) went rather ballistic and requested removal of the aforementioned markings. I have no idea on the credibility of that though. Nowadays, they're still rather strict on it if its being used for profit other gain purposes - I recall that the marque is only under licence to VW from the PLC

Last edited:
some of the later merlin engines were super charged and the griffin, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

jay leno's "tank car" used the merlin engine too, very similar to this, but built before this(y)
Almost all Merlins were supercharged, although carburretor fed. The Griffon was a derivative of the Merlin but was about 50% bigger.

In the '70s, there was a bloke called John Dodd (I think) who built a special which was based on a Capri (possibly) where he stuck a 27 litre merlin in the front. I think it goes without saying that he extended the front end to accomodate it. Sorry about the all brackets but it was quite a while ago, although I'm pretty certain he, somehow got it road registered.

In the '70s, there was a bloke called John Dodd (I think) who built a special which was based on a Capri (possibly) where he stuck a 27 litre merlin in the front. I think it goes without saying that he extended the front end to accomodate it. Sorry about the all brackets but it was quite a while ago, although I'm pretty certain he, somehow got it road registered.

This is the very same car note the JD on the grill John Dodd...;) The one in the article that is not the one in the vid.

Last edited:
This is the very same car note the JD on the grill John Dodd...;) The one in the article that is not the one in the vid.
Didn't read the article, but yup, he's the bloke. Seem to remember the car used to be black. He and the car used to feature in Custom Car magazine on the odd occasion.

How times change. the car is now beige, lives in Spain, and was featured in one of the Classic car magazines last month.

It wasn't based on a Capri, it kinda looked Capri shaped. It was all custom built.

Cheers

SPD
Bloody 'ell, it was 30 + years ago. If I can't remember where I put my car keys I won't be going to the Greater Manchester meet tomorrow and I organised the damn thing.

I know, the bathroom cupboard....er, no. The fridge then.....bugger. Hang on.
In my trouser pocket all the time, who the hell put it there.

Almost all Merlins were supercharged, although carburretor fed. The Griffon was a derivative of the Merlin but was about 50% bigger.

i know mate

the early ones wernt though, the griffin was a different beast altogether, far more powerful than the merlin and didnt suffer the fuel starvation problems the merlin did. also the later mk XIX spitfire used as reconosence had the contra rotating prop. and just short of 10L bigger(y)

Back