General Diagnostic Software

Currently reading:
General Diagnostic Software

TheTigers

I've had a problem with my 1.2 8v punto for a few weeks now. I have looked on the forum and found this thread which covers the exact same problem I am having. Basically the engine management light comes on and my car loses all power and the engine judders. I have to drive in gears 1-3.

My brother has an Op-Com diagnostics kit which I have tried to fit into my punto and use the multiecuescan software. The software doesn't seem compatible with the usb adaptor as it won't connect. I was wondering if anyone knew of any software that would be compatible?

I have changed the spark plugs which had no effect. I then changed the battery which got rid of the problem for around a month, but now it is back. I was going to change the HT leads next?

One thing that was not mentioned on the other guy's thread is that when my car loses power and the engine management light comes on sometimes I can knock it off by putting the revs up to 6000 - 7000. This only works occasionally though and the problem will return later on.

Not sure if this is linked to the problem but my car also drinks oil! I have to fill it up around every 2 weeks because it is empty! Have never found a leak though.

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated as I don't really have the money to be taking it to a garage to get sorted!

revving the nuts off a 1.2 will break a ring as they arent designed for such rough treatment
this could be why you have an oil problem
i would do a compression test
a vacuum test
buy an elm lead to read your stored data

and post back all results if i was you

Thanks for the reply. My car has been losing oil like this for well over a year. It is a 2000 reg. Would an Elm be compatible?

I have been looking on Ebay at Elm diagnostics and they all say they are only compatible with 2001 petrol onwards. I have seen another post on here that says that the ELM only works with cars that have yellow engine management lights? 2001 onwards. Not sure what to do now? Could it be possible that my MAP sensor is faulty? Thinking about replacing MAP sensor and HT leads

btw, there may be NO software that is compatible with this, apart from the original OEM Op Com software.

This really depends on the lengths they have gone to when building the hardware. For example, with an FTDI USB->Rs232 interface, you can effectively software code each bit of hardware. Without this key, it's impossible to connect to the hardware.

If you are desperate to burn time, I would install the Max 232 and FTDI232 drivers on my pc (both from web I think), run the software you have, and see if it works. If the interface is handled by either of these chips, it might work.

Simpler just to buy a cheapo ELM from ebay though if you have a life.

I have bought a new MAP sensor and replaced it. Now the car won't run! It starts briefly (for a second or two) and then cuts out. So I tried it with the old MAP on again and it ran but with the same problems. I then took the old MAP off and it ran with the same symptoms as with the old one on! I am now very confused. Does any1 have any ideas?

i have used fiatecuscan on my mk2 1.2 8v, i have an audi KKL usb lead from ebay for less than £8 bought for my audi and the fiat software was on the disk that came with it, the fiatecuscan software is very good and shows all the engines parametters in real time, much better than any fault reader.

Back