Technical dead turbo?

Currently reading:
Technical dead turbo?

Hi Dave,
I have slight concerns about that sellers product. From the photo on the listing it appears that the center housing is a used one that has been shot blasted. It appears to have cleaned up rust pits. While this is not an issue on the body, they do seem to extend to the mounting flange area. It's not a problem per se, but if they have not masked the casting properly there could be damage elsewhere. Personally I'd rather buy a all new parts CHRA or just a refurb kit (<£40) and do it myself. As mentioned before, the issue with the refurb kits is maintaining the balance of the rotor when you put it back together.

Robert G8RPI.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Maybe worth e-mailing Melett again. Perhaps they investigated it and found him to be legit. This is the address I e-mailed: [email protected]

The Polish seller has 6000+ line items listed on ebay but only 2000 odd feedback. It could be that they are a virtual seller. These have accounts with trade suppliers, copy their item descriptions, put a mark-up on the trade price and often just get the real supplier to ship direct. There are a number of these selling electronic components and tools from Farnell on ebay. They put a big mark-up on and still sell stuff because buyers don't realise Farnell will sell to anyone direct at trade prices.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi Dave,
I have slight concerns about that sellers product. From the photo on the listing it appears that the center housing is a used one that has been shot blasted. It appears to have cleaned up rust pits. While this is not an issue on the body, they do seem to extend to the mounting flange area. It's not a problem per se, but if they have not masked the casting properly there could be damage elsewhere. Personally I'd rather buy a all new parts CHRA or just a refurb kit (<£40) and do it myself. As mentioned before, the issue with the refurb kits is maintaining the balance of the rotor when you put it back together.

Robert G8RPI.

That's a shame it was looking like i might get a reviewers price from them

Has the turbocharger failed?Looks servicable in those pictures-cross shaft in one piece,nut still on shaft,impellors look ok.
Was the egr stuck open?
Ive got a kkk bv 50 off my 2.4 when i done the upgrade to the gtb2056v.If it will fit your welcome to it.Failing that you could use my turbocharger supplier and get my discount.

Has the turbocharger failed?Looks servicable in those pictures-cross shaft in one piece,nut still on shaft,impellors look ok.
Was the egr stuck open?
Ive got a kkk bv 50 off my 2.4 when i done the upgrade to the gtb2056v.If it will fit your welcome to it.Failing that you could use my turbocharger supplier and get my discount.

Hi i have end to end play there is oil in the big boost pipes, the smoke that came out stank of burning oil, i hope its not egr now i have taken all the front off the car, my egr is mapped out but not blanked off. not sure what a kkk bv 50 is it dose not match any numbers on my unit:confused: thanks for the offers

edit: that site is showing different powers for the 2.4 200 bhp and 201 bhp http://www.melett.com/turbo-model-r...hicleModel=Croma&EngineSize=2.4&EngineBHP=201 think uk is the 201?

do you think your turbo will fit my manifold?

Last edited:
That's a shame it was looking like i might get a reviewers price from them

Hi,
It's personal preference, if you can get a good price, why not? I'd say it's a low risk. You do need to check / change that oil feed pipe though as there has been no other root cause of failure identified.

Robert G8RPI.

no reply from melett
Prestige Turbo a guy called wayne says i need to call Lee i got no answer so told wayne he emails me at 3.57 and says lee is in unit now and ring before 4, i read email at 4.10 :bang:

turbocharger-systems the ones that say built and balanced in the uk only list a 8v one and did not reply about a 16v one.

the one buster kindly offered i dont think will fit my manifold as the melett site is showing different numbers for the actuall turbo bit?

think i may wait a few more hours then to see if above ebayers reply if not just go for the nering one cant aford to be off road too long.

new core arrived, i took the oil feed to john from http://www.x19spares.co.uk/ who also ownes a hose making company http://www.hosequip.com/ he said he could make me a new one but said my old one is fine after he cleaned it up and tested it and could see no reason for me not to reuse it. got aftermarket gasket kit today also, oem bits should be near here for me to collect tomorrow or friday,
picked up oil and coolant from ecp as dealer said can only do oem oil in bulk now.
nothing else got done today pissing down with rain and no help here either :(

Hi Dave,
This sounds like a fairly big project that's hopefully heading towards a successful conclusion.

Any chance that you could summarise the key bits of what you're doing into a sort of "how to" guide along with prices, suppliers, etc., for those who have this problem in future when you've got time once you've got it sorted please?

Back