Technical dead turbo?

Currently reading:
Technical dead turbo?

I think its dead Rac man he think it dead too. went to pick mrs dave up from work as i was parking car made funny noise sounded like belt breaking up and flapping around, so called RAC as i had no tools to remove cover and check cam belt aux belt was ok.

rac man came we check cam belt and it was ok ( i thought it would be it as its 4 years old and i was going to sort it this month but spent the money on rabbit vets bills)

so started car up noise was there and engine made a few judders but then it seemed to clear :confused: RAC man said he will have a fag and then follow me home see if it came back, i said ok but i'll just drive down and up road a little first, i did that no boost and loads of blue smoke, switched off engine, he said probably turbo gone as it was whining too (but it always has i think) so tomorrow i will try and check for play.

There was a saab up the scrappy with same 1.9 16v engine a few months back but that may be gone, if i cant find a good used one What are my options? inc upgrades

thanks

Hi Dave, sorry to hear that.

I don't remember seeing a mention of this on this forum so I've had a poke around the vectra c forums in case they were helpful but couldn't find anything other than getting it replaced with a refurb.

I know it's clutching at straws but you're sure it's not just the vac pipe that's perished or come loose?

One of the things I found on the Vectra forums was people being advised not to buy turbo rebuild kits because of the difficulty of balancing it.

How hard it really is I just don't know.

As far as the vac pipe's concerned, don't know abour the smoke but with just the smallest amount of perishing on mine made the car pull like it was dragging a house.

Bit of self amalgamating tape and it's been fine. Having said that, I've got to say that in your case it's probably unlikely to be a factor but it's a 10 second job to check just in case.

the big boost pipes? i had one of them split before power was down but not as bad as it was last night, i fixed mine with a bit of stainless tube.

these cores are supposed to come ready balanced

this is for an 8v http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBO-CAR...CDTI-755373-/281449958945?hash=item4187b98e21 but sounds like they know what they are doing maybe. seen some very cheap chinese ones i think i will avoid them

This is the company in the video http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller lots of feedback and all the bad ones seem to be supply rated not because they blue up. I think one of us is going to have to try one if only to save cromas from the scrappy in future

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
It was quite a small rubber pipe that comes out of a hole that says vac out above it. On the 8v it's in the middle of the engine at the front.

Hi,
If you buy a CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) from a reptutable suppler it will be ready balanced and should be a straight forward fit. If your oil feed pipe is at all suspect you should change it at the same time. Make sure you prime the oil pipe and turbo with oil before assembly and turning the engine over. The two part numbers GT1749MV and GTA1749MV are first and second generations of basically the same unit. You need to check which one is currently fitted to your engine. There may be a variation on integral exhaust manifold / turbine housing and seperate separate parts, but this should not affect the CHRA part number.

Robert G8RPI.

Its a right pain to get to i couldn't bend to get at anything so have removed most of the front of the car, removed all 3 rads as 1 unit.
not sure where oil is coming from now turbo seals? but then how does it get to the outside? oil feed looks quite clean atm
now ive got inlet off there don't seem to be much play, ive felt worse at rolling road days

DSCF1799.JPG

DSCF1800.JPG

DSCF1802.JPG

DSCF1803.JPG

DSCF1804.JPG

DSCF1805.JPG

Looks like i have found out where all my aircon gas went, aircon rad is bust at the bottom, bodyshop that did my rear bumper tried to get the car on a low loader when it was lowered, they denied scraping att the bottom of the bumper, it was about this same time that my aircon died too :chin:

DSCF1801.JPG

Hi,
If you buy a CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) from a reptutable suppler it will be ready balanced and should be a straight forward fit. If your oil feed pipe is at all suspect you should change it at the same time. Make sure you prime the oil pipe and turbo with oil before assembly and turning the engine over. The two part numbers GT1749MV and GTA1749MV are first and second generations of basically the same unit. You need to check which one is currently fitted to your engine. There may be a variation on integral exhaust manifold / turbine housing and seperate separate parts, but this should not affect the CHRA part number.

Robert G8RPI.
thanks, are nerings reputable?

Hi Dave,
Never used any of the ebay turbo suppliers. Nerings feedback is reasonable for the number of units they sell. My only reservation would be that they are not UK based so possibly harder to deal with if it does go wrong. Turbochargersystems http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/turbocharger-systems look OK but sell fewer and have some bad feedback but that's not unusual with high tech items that are easy to fit incorrectly.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi Dave,
Never used any of the ebay turbo suppliers. Nerings feedback is reasonable for the number of units they sell. My only reservation would be that they are not UK based so possibly harder to deal with if it does go wrong. Turbochargersystems http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/turbocharger-systems look OK but sell fewer and have some bad feedback but that's not unusual with high tech items that are easy to fit incorrectly.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks they are the one i messaged as they haven't got a 16v one listed

there is a polish seller on ebay who is selling melett ones and says they are made in the uk i am not sure if they are made here or just the head office is here or if they are good or bad.

got mine out with a finger in each end there is back n forth play, still un sure where all the oil came from:confused:

DSCF1806.JPG

DSCF1807.JPG

DSCF1808.JPG

DSCF1809.JPG

DSCF1810.JPG

DSCF1811.JPG

got mine out with a finger in each end there is back n forth play, still un sure where all the oil came from:confused:

Hi, Axial end float should be a hardly detectable 1 to 4 thousanths of an inch. Side to side could be as much as 15 thou. You can measure end float with a dial gauge, but if you can feel it it's almost certainly too much. It's just a plain bearing and if worn the oil will run through into the scrolls. Melett look OK and seem to provide more of a kit with information, but that might depend on the seller. According to the website the work is in the UK "Melett also offers a growing range of complete CHRA / Core Assemblies, covering many popular turbos including; Garrett GT/VNT, Borg Warner K03 / K04 & KP/BV, MHI TD02 /TD03 TF035 / TD04 and Toyota CT26, all of which are assembled and VSR balanced in Melett’s fully equipped UK Core Production Facility." You could ask them if the seller is authorised.

As far as I can tell both the 120HP (8V) and 150 HP (16V) use the same size turbo, but either could be a GT1749MV or a GTA1749MV you need to check the numbers (I can't read them on your photos).

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.

I have some numbers
on the manifold M641309E
on the turbo around the inlet hole Garrett M63
On the square bit it has
B 85 8
FGP 55 205 483

766 340-1 S/N JJNO11171

Not sure if the jjno is a number zerro or letter o

DSCF1814.JPG

so looks like its a match for Vehicle OE No: 55205483? off that melett site

hmm UK made http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT1749MV-...TRIDGE-CORE-/252052421552?hash=item3aaf7ebbb0 £60 cheaper than the melett one on ebay

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
there is a polish seller on ebay who is selling melett ones and says they are made in the uk i am not sure if they are made here or just the head office is here or if they are good or bad.

Don't know which Polish seller you're referring to Dave. I sent the e-mail below to Melett 2 years ago. Melett replied that they didn't supply this Polish seller and were investigating where they got there stock from.

"Hi, I assume from your website that you don't sell direct to the public? If that's the case, can you tell me if you have any dealers in the UK (preferably SE London or NW Kent) that could sell me a CHRA for a 2003 Fiat Stilo JTD 1.9, 8 valve, 85KW, 115 BHP, 192 A1.000 engine.
If you don't have dealers in the UK, I've seen this seller in Poland claiming to sell your parts. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261191004369?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Could you confirm that they are a genuine Melett dealer selling genuine Melett parts?"

Don't know which Polish seller you're referring to Dave. I sent the e-mail below to Melett 2 years ago. Melett replied that they didn't supply this Polish seller and were investigating where they got there stock from.

"Hi, I assume from your website that you don't sell direct to the public? If that's the case, can you tell me if you have any dealers in the UK (preferably SE London or NW Kent) that could sell me a CHRA for a 2003 Fiat Stilo JTD 1.9, 8 valve, 85KW, 115 BHP, 192 A1.000 engine.
If you don't have dealers in the UK, I've seen this seller in Poland claiming to sell your parts. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261191004369?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Could you confirm that they are a genuine Melett dealer selling genuine Melett parts?"
That is the same guy his business address is in the UK i wonder how he is getting away with it.

thanks saved me some time sending melett the same email.

Back