Currently reading:
Technical Dashboard problems

codydavies1759

I recently had my battery changed in my Fiat 500c, since then my dashboard display hasn’t worked properly, it has gone distorted meaning i can’t see how much petrol, time, or how hot the engine is. Occasionally it goes completely blank. I can see the outer lights such as warning lights, petrol warning light, indicators etc, so not whole dashboard as these all work fine.
I was wondering if this could be battery related or is this is an electrical issue that would need a new dashboard. has anyone else had this problem with their fiat 500?
Thank you

Attachments

• 8D0523B0-96A2-4672-B261-356CBC6D13DD.jpeg
    8D0523B0-96A2-4672-B261-356CBC6D13DD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 782
  • CD347C9B-3736-460D-A4E4-9CA9C139952B.jpeg
    CD347C9B-3736-460D-A4E4-9CA9C139952B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 104
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Cluster issues are quite common on the 500, though this is one of the more unusual manifestations.

If this happened immediately after changing the battery, that needs further investigation before rushing to replace the cluster; most faults are the result of the last thing that happened to the car. It's possible, though unlikely, that the new battery could be defective; you'll notice spurious electrical problems long before it refuses to start. Even batteries which test OK have been known to cause such issues; indeed it's sometimes said that the best way to test a battery is to put it into a S/S 500 and see if everything works as it should.

Changing a battery could disturb the earth connection (another weak point), so it's worth checking that carefully, particularly the point where the earth lead connects to the chassis.

I'm also wondering what else might have happened shortly before the battery was changed (for example, jump starting the car, or fast charging with the battery in situ, or connecting anything directly to the battery terminals - a 'no-no' on S/S equipped 500's). It's possible a spurious voltage spike could have fried the electronics inside the cluster.

If you do need a new display, you have three options:

1. A new cluster (not cheap; a franchised dealer fix won't leave you with much change out of £1000; parts, coding software and cables probably about £600 if you do it all yourself)

2. A secondhand cluster from a breaker. You need to buy one with less miles on it than your car has covered; they can be adjusted up, but not down

3. Sending your existing cluster for repair; probably midway in price between the two other alternatives.

With options 1 & 2, you'll also need Fiat-specific software such as MES to code the replacement cluster to the car. Option 3 may be plug 'n' play.

@typecastboy probably knows more about cluster issues than anyone else here - he 's fixed quite a few, and is both knowledgeable and helpful.

Last edited:
That is indeed a knackered LCD. I've just bought a new LCD panel which I have installed into the existing cluster and am about to test it tomorrow, so watch this space.

The replacement LCD is £85 including postage and is specific to your age and model of speedo. The seller needs to know which colour the miles per hour part is, in your case white and the year of your car and whether it is a S/S car if on the edge of 2010 where it could be either.

Doing it this way is actually cheaper and no proxy alignment is needed and no mileage adjustsment as its your own cluster, just with a new LCD panel.

I will report back tomorow as to whether it actually works.

I've just bought a new LCD panel which I have installed into the existing cluster and am about to test it tomorrow

Great!

Assuming it works, this will give folks an option 4, which could potentially be better than any of the existing ones.

You can also get one here for £69.

I then stumbled across the website of someone offering to replace the LCD in your speedo for £250, which seems like a ripoff, so I've not linked it.

Last edited:
Great!

Assuming it works, this will give folks an option 4, which could potentially be better than any of the existing ones.

You can also get one here for £69.

I then stumbled across the website of someone offering to replace the LCD in your speedo for £250, which seems like a ripoff, so I've not linked it.

That’s where I got it from. They are £72 now. I’m sure my total came to £85 including postage but I’ll check that. I’m about to go and try it now. Will report back later.

It worked perfectly. I tried it without putting it all back together and I’m glad I did as the three pin connector on the back of the panel wasn’t pushed into position properly. This is what operates the orange backlight. Pushed it home and voila.

As long as you’re confident taking your Speedo apart this is a much better and cheaper way of fixing a broken LCD.

It worked perfectly. I tried it without putting it all back together and I’m glad I did as the three pin connector on the back of the panel wasn’t pushed into position properly. This is what operates the orange backlight. Pushed it home and voila.

As long as you’re confident taking your Speedo apart this is a much better and cheaper way of fixing a broken LCD.

Great - well done.

This will now be the forum 'go to' method for dealing with the faulty LCD display issue.

If you get the time, a guide for this would be nice.

Great - well done.

This will now be the forum 'go to' method for dealing with the faulty LCD display issue.

If you get the time, a guide for this would be nice.

I’ve done a video tutorial which I’ve got to finish with today’s footage but I’ll post it when done. It’s fiddly but if you can follow the instructions it’s not to bad. Definitely the best way.

Hi, I’ve had a similar problem and stripped out the lcd on my daughters 2010 model but can’t get the exact same screen to replace it, do you think I can just a get a similar screen? Just want to get her through her mot next month and she might struggle at the minute with a hole in the dashboard!

Attachments

• FB34590F-9258-4BA8-9000-7EF5538A0CBB.jpeg
    FB34590F-9258-4BA8-9000-7EF5538A0CBB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • 91B3B7EA-8CE4-41AC-B712-55F45185BF6D.jpeg
    91B3B7EA-8CE4-41AC-B712-55F45185BF6D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
Hi, I’ve had a similar problem and stripped out the lcd on my daughters 2010 model but can’t get the exact same screen to replace it, do you think I can just a get a similar screen? Just want to get her through her mot next month and she might struggle at the minute with a hole in the dashboard!

It will pass fine without the screen as long as the Speedo is working along with EML and airbag lights

My daughter's 2008 Sport does this. It spends most of its life parked while she's at university and then the display fails to work. Drive the car for a hour or so and get some heat into it and it comes back to life (for some reason with a short phase of what looks like Cyrillic text).
All is ok until it's left in the damp for extended periods again.
I suspect it won't be self-healing so it's good to know there are DIY fixes

The car passed it mot, they noted the mileage as unavailable. Now fitted a 2014 tft in my daughters 2010 model. Need to correct the mileage and get blue and me working again but it’s a brilliant update for £300

I dunno whether the Covid has mutated to killing Fiat 500 speedo's.... but the Younger Mrs S.'s 500, Rasputin has caught the LED Fever... despite socially isolated/parked unused and with the battery disconnected for the last few weeks (battery eventually goes flat otherwise and the beast isn't being used at all, never mind "enough").

I've tapped up the fellows in the thread ^ to see what they need to know, and sent them a photo of the speedo. I'd really only want to dismantle it the once (remove/fit).. so hopefully they won't need a serial or part number off the back of the LED in order to know which type I need.

I've seen Typecastboy's Youtube video... It looks fairly straightforward, as long as you can hold the speedo still long enough... :D

Ralf S.

Back