Technical Fiat 500 Dashboard Airbag light issue

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 Dashboard Airbag light issue

Jb2308

Hi,

I've sent my car for diagnostics recently to figure out why my airbag light is on, on the dash. The garage was able to turn the light off, as I was when disconnected the battery, however, when the car starts up again and someone sits in the seat then the light comes back on.

The info from the diagnostics was as follows:
- Airbag message on dash but no constant warning light. Carried out diagnostic plug in: No fault codes.
- Battery replaced due to "Bad and replace", voltage is fine and correct.
- Seat is fine
- Cables/wiring on the airbags are fine
- Next thing to test would be the dashboard.

I was advised they had spoken with a Fiat garage who confirmed that given the year of the car (09 reg) that there is an old component on the dash (bear with me, I'm not very technical and in this upcoming explanation I might have got the colours the wrong way around). Apparently, there's a component on the dash which used to be manufactured and in black. This particular component is known to give out eventaully and start causing dashboard issues. So supposedly I would need this component to be replaced with the new silver one, and then plugged into fiat to be reprogrammed and then the dash will be correct and the light should go off. Like I said, I might have got the colours the wrong way around.

Before I spend £600+ getting this component changed on the dash which MIGHT fix the airbag light, does anyone have another idea?

Welcome you need someone who has Fiat specific mes software to properly read the codes .

Before you replace the air bag module you need to confirm its faulty, yes there are two types black plastic and silver metal cover, it made possible to use a second hand one and code to the car at much less than you've been quoted, there maybe a different issue flagging the fault too with the seat?

Before doing anything else, disconnect the battery and check the condition of the wiring loom where it enters the tailgate - you will need to peel back the rubber grommet to do this.

You may find evidence of a previous repair, which may have failed again.

This is a well known issue with the 500.

Back