Technical Dashboard not workingH

Currently reading:
Technical Dashboard not workingH

Kish

Hi
I'm new to this forum, I have a 2002 Fiat Stilo 1.2.

It's been stood on my driveway for the last 12 months (various reasons) and yesterday we put a new battery on and got it started.

At first all the dash worked intermittently but went out after a while and now won't come on at all.

All the lights, heater, central locking, electric windows, wipers etc work, but the dash doesn't.

The stilo will only start with jump leads now.

We've taken the earth wire off that attaches to the gear box and the chassis and cleaned all the connections, thinking it might be a bad earth, but that doesn't seem to have cured the problem.

Can anybody help please? :confused:

Welcome to the forum :)

I assume you're on about the instrument panel? The dash board is the large plastic thing that runs the length of the front and houses the passenger front airbag.

If its the instrument panel then there is lots of information about them failing on here. Firstly I'd fit a new fully charged battery, jump starting the car isn't going to be doing anything any good, it needs a good healthy battery with decent voltage (y)

Welcome to the forum :)

I assume you're on about the instrument panel? The dash board is the large plastic thing that runs the length of the front and houses the passenger front airbag.

If its the instrument panel then there is lots of information about them failing on here. Firstly I'd fit a new fully charged battery, jump starting the car isn't going to be doing anything any good, it needs a good healthy battery with decent voltage (y)

Hi thanks for your quick reply..

Yes I do mean the instrument panel and I have searched through some threads already but found nothing specific to what I was looking for.

Also I have fitted a new fully battery with decent voltage, yesterday :)

Hi. Welcome to the FF.

If the car only starts with jump leads, then there's still somthing wrong with the battery or the connections to the battery terminals.

Hi, thank you.

So all the electrics could still work, but not the instrument panel? I've just checked the ampage on this new battery and the one that was in previously (that worked fine) and they are the same :confused::):)

Hi, thank you.

So all the electrics could still work, but not the instrument panel? I've just checked the ampage on this new battery and the one that was in previously (that worked fine) and they are the same :confused::):)

So just to confirm, even with the new battery which is fully charged the car will not start without being jumped with jump leads?

So just to confirm, even with the new battery which is fully charged the car will not start without being jumped with jump leads?

With the new battery on the car started, i drove it a short distance, the instrument panel worked at first, then warnings started flagging up, I can't remember specifically which ones, then the panel was on and off intermittently.

I had the engine running for about 10 minutes and once switched off, it started again on the key, I had it running while we had a look round the engine to see if anything obvious could be the cause.

Once it had been switched off for an hour or so, it wouldn't start again unless I used jump leads.

There seemed to be plenty of power in the battery, is it possible that with the instrument panel not working, it wasn't keeping the charge in the battery and therefore draining it?

I dont about the instrument display. But the starting issue could be the ground cable from chassis to engine.

Back