Technical Dashboard instrument cluster removal

Currently reading:
Technical Dashboard instrument cluster removal

Milanese

Hello all, occasional lurker, first time poster. Hopefully someone can help.

I have 2 Fiats, a Panda 4x4 TwinAir (2018) and a Punto Pop+ (2015) and have now been tasked with repairing a family member's Panda Pop (2012), one of the first of the current shape.

The central display in the instrument cluster (the one that shows the date, time, fuel, water temp etc) has practically stopped displaying anything, with only the top line partially showing, so you can still toggle between various functions and have some idea of the fuel range etc.

I understand that this is a relatively common fault in other Fiats, possibly Pandas also, that have been stored in damp conditions for long periods of time, and this one has for much of its life. It sees barely 3000 miles of use a year.

A company in Waterlooville in Hampshire (Cartronix) has quoted to repair it, but they require the removed unit to be sent to them, so I need to figure out how best to do that without muckling the dashboard in the process.

I have searched this forum but there seems to be an absence of threads on this particular topic - can anyone kindly offer some assistance, or a link to something that might help?

Typecastboy has video's on this on Youtube in his Love500 account.

gr J
This came up when I searched the forum for "instrument removal". Tis a great channel, but all about 500's, so I couldn't find any relevant to removing the instrument cluster from the Panda dashboard.

Like the OP, I am looking for info on how to remove the clocks assembly from the dash in a Panda (2014). Any pointers appreciated, if not it's just gonna be time to pull it apart and investigate. Hopefully Fiat haven't made it too tricky...

This came up when I searched the forum for "instrument removal". Tis a great channel, but all about 500's, so I couldn't find any relevant to removing the instrument cluster from the Panda dashboard.

Like the OP, I am looking for info on how to remove the clocks assembly from the dash in a Panda (2014). Any pointers appreciated, if not it's just gonna be time to pull it apart and investigate. Hopefully Fiat haven't made it too tricky...

Does the EPER give hints to the component breakdown?

A exploded view could be helpful 🙂

Cluster itself:

Last edited:
Does the EPER give hints to the component breakdown?

A exploded view could be helpful 🙂

Cluster itself:
Thanks, haven’t found all these useful resources yet like EPER. Will remember that one. Also spotted links to Fiatdalys in places, what is this?

From that link you posted it looks as if removing the cluster may be fairly easy once I’ve removed the gloss black cowling that also surrounds the radio. Changing the radio soon so that’ll be the time to try it out.

You may have to remove the big dash panel (blue in your first post) too at least partially to get the black bit off. I am pretty sure this clips in. (my Dealer removed mine in minutes) A set of plastic pry tools will be worth every penny. I always ask my dealer about 'how to' things and so far they have been 100% helpful. Try to avoid over-bending retaining tangs. Use a hair dryer to warm the plastics to help avoid breakage and aid retaining the shape. Fiat plastc is VERY cheap and brittle so the big need is patience and care. Get some double sided tape and add a few little bits for padding on strategic corners to stop rattling on reassembly, especially round the corners of the binnacle finnishing trim which is probe to rattling after removal.

PS I love your avatar and ID!

Last edited:
ePER is basically the Fiat parts system 🙂

The forums version WAS old.. Up to @2007 models...
So for Modern.. 2012+. We used a dealer in the Baltic States who showed the full diagrams
(fiatdalys)
Their site stopped a couple of years ago 😕.

But back here at FF a few people have worked hard to get a Modern ePER back here on the forum👍

I suspect the first thing to remove is the steering wheel and all that goes with that as otherwise its in the way.

FiatDalys had a link to another version of the Fiat Electronic Parts Catalogue (ePER) - it no longer works, and the one linked direct from the top of this Forum is a much better version to use and now includes the post 2012 Panda (its called Nuovo Panda at the top of the drop down menu when you choose the model).

The plastic parts that unclip mostly have well-formed pegs that clip into metal spring fittings. This means they tend not to break but also that they do need a very firm pull to remove them. Somewhere back in this forum is a post by a guy in Holland who removed a lot of the dash parts, with photos.

Note - you must remove the radio before trying to remove the dashboard trim. Teh inner black part is part retained by the large coloured 'C' shaped piece that goes all around the dash.

I have a distant memory that you need to remove face-level air vents before that C-panel will come off. The central one has a hidden screw up inside the top (accessed from within the radio aperture using a right-angled driver) which falls out and disappears way off down into somewhere, never to be seen again... and the outer ones have a a screw which is reached from under the dash (one above where the ODB port is and the other accessed by removing the glovebox first then reaching up through the opening that leaves behind).

There are also two (maybe three?) small screws that are in the open 'parcel shelf' in front of the passenger, which screw into the back of the big C-shaped panel.

The small infill panel between the 'eyebrow' over the instruments and the dial surrounds themselves is fixed by two small screws...(part '2' in the second link below)

I removed all these bits in the (futile, it turned out) attempt to reach the thing inside my dash on a 2013 car that rattled. I gave up and put it all back together, except the screw from the middle vent which I never did find. Didn't seen to be needed!

The issue that causes the problem (dampness in the works) is often as a result of the 'scuttle drains' being blocked - the space between the bottom of the windscreen and the back of the bonnet. Search for posts about 'duckbills' to lean more about the drains. When blocked, water finds its way into the inside of the car behind where the instruments are. Address this before fixing the dash or the same issue may occur again.

These images from ePER may give some clues:
The overall link is here: https://eper.fiatforum.com/en/Drawings/Detail/F/F/GIN/33/705/2/ALL/0/SubGroup
from which these two drawings can be found:
General dash panel views: https://data-84-eper.fiatforum.com/0B/0BE72E557166D99F4034AD6432610475.png
more detailed closer-up: https://data-84-eper.fiatforum.com/47/470B5B33D6300E048F01C84C6D6FED34.png

Once all the dash panels are out of the way, here is the info about the 'clocks' themselves:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the detail chaps. Sounds like a la'al TLC is needed when handling some of these plastic parts!

ePER looks like very useful tool, chapeau to the people that put the time and effort in to this.

I suspect the first thing to remove is the steering wheel and all that goes with that as otherwise its in the way.

Am hoping that it'll just be the column surround/switchgear that'll need to be pulled out the way, as opposed to the wheel itself!

Thanks for all the detail chaps. Sounds like a la'al TLC is needed when handling some of these plastic parts!

ePER looks like very useful tool, chapeau to the people that put the time and effort in to this.

Am hoping that it'll just be the column surround/switchgear that'll need to be pulled out the way, as opposed to the wheel itself!
To remove th C-shaped trim etc the wheel can stay (and the casing around the stalks too). But, to get the dials out, I think it needs to come off.

Hi if you mean indicator and headlights, wiper stalks the wheel has to come off. This isn't such a big deal once you have worked out the spring clips for the airbag.

Last edited:
Looking and thinking back, it may be possible to remove the 'inner' dash trim (the black bit) without needing to remove the outer coloured panel...
This item on eBay at present shows where the various pegs that engage in the spring clips are:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back