Styling Dash Illumination

Currently reading:
Styling Dash Illumination

If you pop out the switch you'll find it is a little bulb with a kind of green condom over it to give the glow.

I got these for my attempt:-

10 of http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=1128&osCsid=4b873a5adfa6652e7fe2f20d21dc0abe

you don't need 10 but I always get extra!

5 of http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=910&osCsid=4b873a5adfa6652e7fe2f20d21dc0abe

Again more but I always run into trouble well usually!

The top choice fits the speedo clocks, window switches, clock and heater controls and the ickle leds are for the fog, heated screen etc.

Liam

I know this must be annoying people by now but out of interest how many bulbs are there to light up the speedometer, rev counter, fuel gauge and temperature gauge? I'm guessing its one for each no?

If you look over on the Ebay auctions that were posted in this thread it details the amount of bulbs required.

I wouldn't bother trying to change the warning lights as

1. they are different colours for a reason

and

2. ask Arc!

Liam

In the middle of doing this just now, the LED Bulbs I bought are too big for the holders and requires filing down with a Dremel to fit, it is do able as I have filed down 9 bulbs and they all work.

The switch illumination bit is a piece of ****.

The bulb in my clock was the same as all the other bulbs in my car but the clock had been tampered with by someone before me cos it was all taped and superglued up.

I'll add more when I've finished.

Liam

I've just noticed that I have orded some white 3mm LED's instead of blur ones, gggrrrrrr dumbass!

Anyway it ain't so bad, I can live with the white.

So this is a link to a BLUE 3mm LED

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=910&osCsid=e60d3dadf4aa0d93a015dea504271f3c

Given that the bulbs I specified earlier don't fit without modification an alternative should be sought if you can be arsed standing filing them down.

For the dash, (I didn't see these earlier) these would be ideal

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=836&osCsid=e60d3dadf4aa0d93a015dea504271f3c

Direct replacements and not really expensive since there is only 4 to bes replaced.

Liam

No way, I thought the 286 leds would go behind the clocks, ******** ******** ******** ive ordered a load of the bastards now n'all.

Last edited:
bloomfieldliam said:
In the middle of doing this just now, the LED Bulbs I bought are too big for the holders and requires filing down with a Dremel to fit, it is do able as I have filed down 9 bulbs and they all work.

The switch illumination bit is a piece of ****.

The bulb in my clock was the same as all the other bulbs in my car but the clock had been tampered with by someone before me cos it was all taped and superglued up.

I'll add more when I've finished.

Liam

Is it the 286 bulbs that you had to file down? If so how much did you need to file much off and do they fit in the bulbholders snugly?

Yeah the 286 bulbs, they look very like the stock bulbs but are a bit wide near te base which doesn't allow fitting as the bulb holder spreads and it won't fit in the clocks.

Filing them down wasn't any real biggie, I would say the a careful 3minsper bulb and it was cool, I filed mines down rather than not fit them and let the bulbs go to waste.

They do fit in the bulb holders snugly after modification.

I've attached a crude diagram (laugh all you's want but I did it in 5 mins!) which shows the 286's before and after to make them fit.

I have no pics of mines in the dark yet but it ain't terribly bright as opposed to the standard glow, the 286's give off a more directed glow.

You could always email ultra and grovel and return them maybe for a refund.

Liam

Attachments

• Bulbs.JPG
    Bulbs.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 9
Cheers for that fine piece of CAD drawing Liam (y). I'll fit them seeing as I'm a tight fisted student. You say the 286s aint terribly bright opposed to the standard glow, are they a bit brighter or about same?, I'm not too fussed for them to be mega bright as I have to wear glasses to drive and could do without the glare :D. I might take Custard's advice and try and diffuse the light a little.

custard boy said:
if they are leds then you can file down the tops of them to diffuse the light bit

Do tell all!

The lighted part of these bulbs is much smaller than the OE stuff hence the smaller light bath IYKWIM

Liam

custard boy said:
well standard 3mm,5mm etc led's can be filed down as long as you dont go all the way to the metal but you dont need to.
all you need to do is flatten the domed section,this also frosts the top of the bulb so diffuses the light

So i need to turn the LED square then?

Back