Technical Switch illumination help please?

Currently reading:
Technical Switch illumination help please?

Hello... hopefully a basic question which someone can help me with. Car is a basic 1994 Cinquecento & I've just noticed the wiper switches..front&rear never illuminate. The HRW & fog light switch are illuminated as soon as ignition is on and the heater controls illuminate when lights are switched on. Am I right in thinking the wiper switches should be illuminated at some stage...or is the current set up right? Have checked handbook, Haynes etc but can't see what correct set up should be. If I do need to sort out the lack of illumination any tips appreciated! Thanks in anticipation & stay safe.

Pics attached?

Attachments

• IMG_20201118_160012943.jpg
    IMG_20201118_160012943.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20201118_160000137.jpg
    IMG_20201118_160000137.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
I have the same year/model as you, although I believe it's the same for all Cinqs:

When you turn the ignition on
-all the buttons come on
-the clock illumination turns on brightest

When you turn the sidelights on or main beams
-the heating background lights come on
-the main dashboard illumination comes on
-the clock light remains on, but dims

Thanks for that, great stuff. So mine is working as designed apart from no light on the wiper switches..so I now have a starting point....fingers crossed there's failed bulbs like to there was in the clock. Any suggestions welcomed but expect first step is switches out. Thanks once more.

The switches are simpler than the clock as you just pull them out, disconnect the wire and switch out the bulb. You can remove the black fascia for easier access, or just carefully pull the affected switched out.

I think the only exception is the light in the actual light switch (the one next to the hazard button). When the bulb in that one goes, you can't replace it like the others... which is annoying cos mine's died after 26 years!

Many thanks once more for being clear & very helpful. Had got the Allen key ready but will try a bit of careful levering first. Pity about the other switch . guess it's not really built in obsolescence after nearly thirty years.?

Last edited:
I think the only exception is the light in the actual light switch (the one next to the hazard button). When the bulb in that one goes, you can't replace it like the others... which is annoying cos mine's died after 26 years!

That doesnt sound right to me, granted its been like 10 years since i did it but i changed all the bulbs for every switch on one of my old cinqs to white LEDs and i don't recall ever having a problem changing any of them.. :confused:

Back