General Cylinder wear

Currently reading:
General Cylinder wear

Mick73

Hi all

In 2012 I fitted a 1242 8v 60hp Punto engine to my Sei. Everything seemed fine but then I found she was using a lot of oil. She's been off the road for approx 2 years due to my losing my licence for medical reasons but as I remember, it was around 1 litre per 500 miles. No oil on floor after parking and no plumes of smoke when running.

A couple of days ago I performed a compression test to see if it was the rings/cylinders or valves that were the problem, the results being:

Dry 1) 150 - 2) 175 - 3) 180 - 4) 160
Wet 1) 180 - 2) 185 - 3) 185 - 4) 185

When I bought the engine off some unscrupulous **** called Smudger, he told me it was a runner but when it arrived I could see it was a complete dog! There had been an obvious HG failure and there was scoring to the pistons and cylinders. I completely stripped and rebuilt the engine and had it honed out by Scholar engineering and they supplied the appropriate rings. My belief was that were the cylinders Fubar'd, Scholar would have indicated so.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the cylinders machined and a liner fitted? If so, the cost etc? What are my options?

I have some Amtech Restore engine treatment which I've read restores compression etc by coating the cylinder walls in some sort of metal compound. Interested in opinions of the compression test results and curious to know if anyone has used Restore and what results you've had.

Thanks in advance

Mick

Back