cyclists 2 a breast

Currently reading:
cyclists 2 a breast

Last week's local paper, some woman moaning about a parking ticket whilst displaying a badge. Turned out the ticket was merely a warning as she'd parked in a taxi bay (or opposite). Interestingly, a week or two earlier, I had the misfortune of being chronically hindered by some inconsiderate B****rd with a blue badge parking on double yellows directly opposite the taxi rank - same person?
They feel the badge gives them the right to park where the heck they like, completely ignoring the badge rule book & highway code.
And I really do sympathise with people with disabilities - just not when they feel their disability entitles them to do what they like
Users of the Blue Badge scheme are not allowed to let their vehicles stand in:

Bus Stop Clearways.
Loading Bays.
Taxi Ranks.
Where there is a loading ban, signified by yellow kerb markings and sign.
Where it would cause an obstruction of either vehicle or pedestrian.
Where there is a temporary traffic order in place with cones.
In spaces reserved for other road users, eg residents or emergency vehicles.
Where there are Zig-Zag lines at pedestrian crossings.
Where there are double white lines down the centre of the road.

All the above are places you are likely to find holders of blue badges, and many who are not entitled to use them, leaving their cars.

Last edited:
My pet hate with cyclists is a varying speed. If their speed is constant, I can plan and deal with it.

Strangely, we are not permitted to cross the white line to pass pedestrians, unless they are a stationary obstruction. (Email exchange with Dept. of Transport a few years ago, apparently this was not thought of in the original legislation as it was expected that pedestrians would take to the verge.) To deal with joggers coming towards you, pull in tight to the verge and stop. Let them deal with you as a parked car. (Other traffic and circumstances permitting.)
It sometimes seems to me as if cyclists are nervous/paranoid about the vehicle behind them, and quite often stop pedalling just when you need them to keep going. Personally, I pedal like hell all the time, unless it's on a steep downhill slope, when picking up too much speed can make it harder for a car to get past and then it's up your chuff when you're struggling to get up the other side.

As for dealing with pedestrians on double white lines, I don't remember the Highway Code forbidding drivers from crossing the lines to pass walkers or joggers. The fact it doesn't include them as an exception doesn't mean they aren't one. I'm not sure a farm animal being led along a road is mentioned, but it doesn't mean you can't pass one if it's safe to do so.

As for dealing with pedestrians on double white lines, I don't remember the Highway Code forbidding drivers from crossing the lines to pass walkers or joggers. The fact it doesn't include them as an exception doesn't mean they aren't one. I'm not sure a farm animal being led along a road is mentioned, but it doesn't mean you can't pass one if it's safe to do so.

Highway Code rule 129:
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid.
This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws Road Traffic Act 1988 sect 36 & Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions 2002 regs 10 & 26

These are the only exceptions. If it is not listed, you commit an offence if you cross the line. A few years back, a pupil of mine queried with Dept of Transport whether he could pass a pedestrian and after a few emails back and forth, they said the law did not permit this, it appeared to have been missed when the legislation was passed. Their view was that passing a pedestrian was strictly an offence but that common sense should prevail.

The fact it doesn't include them as an exception doesn't mean they aren't one.

Yes it does.

Last edited:
I drive,ride a pushbike and various motorcycles and have a camper van,plus a 190 BHP golf diesel.
The reason motorcyclists ride with their lights on/main beam,is because of F ING stupid car drivers.
safe in their tin box,not looking anywhere except over the bonnet.
We are taught to drive defensively,treat all other drivers like they want to kill you.
It's kept me safe.
My girlfriend rides,she's an advanced rider.
She also was an instructor.
I've almost been killed numerous times,and it's the old "sorry mate,I didn't see you" bull ****.
I have been hit off on my pushbike,riding across a pedestrian crossing.
The green man was on,the car came through the inside lane.
Bang,both me and my mate ended up over the bonnet.
I've seen it from all angles.
We just have to use our common sense when on the road.

It's a combined cycle path and pedestrian crossing.
It shows a bike and a person walking on the green signal.
We have them in Wales,we don't all live in caves.
And the green light was on.
The traffic lights were red at the time,he just didn't look.

It's a combined cycle path and pedestrian crossing.
It shows a bike and a person walking on the green signal.
We have them in Wales,we don't all live in caves.
And the green light was on.
The traffic lights were red at the time,he just didn't look.

So it's a Toucan crossing, not a pedestrian crossing. The only one where cyclists are permitted to ride across. (Although I'm told we're still not allowed to squash them if they ride across pedestrian crossings.)

Crossings history:
First the Zebra. Simple name due to the white stripes on a black road.

Next the Pelican. PE (Pedestrian) LI (Light) CAN (Controlled)
The first light controlled crossing. Only one with the flashing amber light.

Next, Puffin. P (Pedestrian) UFF (User-friendly) IN (Intelligent) (That's the crossing that is user-friendly and intelligent, not necessarily the user.)
These have infra-red cameras to monitor traffic and pedestrian movements.
If you push the button and walk away, it should cancel the request. In practice, these are in high pedestrian traffic areas, so other movement will keep it triggered.
If there is no traffic it should give traffic a red straight away. In busy times there will be a minimum delay to keep everyone moving.
If the traffic is approaching quickly, it should give a longer amber.
If the pedestrians walk slowly, it should give a longer green man signal.
(Note the use of should. Sometimes they can be observed working well.)

Then Toucan. TOU (Touch) CAN (Controlled) Already having one animal and two birds, there was apparently pressure to follow a trend, rather than think of a proper name.
This is the one on a combined foot and cycle path.
Other way to remember this one is "Two can use it", as in pedestrian and cyclist, although this was not the reason for its naming.)
This is effectively a Puffin with lights for the cycles.

There is also an Equestrian crossing. Originally known as a Pegasus. This is a Puffin with wooden fences and higher call buttons for horse riders to use. They're a bit rare. Apparently there is one somewhere in London where the Police stable their horses, but I'm not sure a policeman on a horse needs the help of a traffic light. There is one on the A259 between Littlehampton and Worthing, but despite having passed through it about once a month for twelve years, I've never seen a horse rider using it.

Crossings history:
First the Zebra. Simple name due to the white stripes on a black road.

Next the Pelican. PE (Pedestrian) LI (Light) CAN (Controlled)
The first light controlled crossing. Only one with the flashing amber light.

Next, Puffin. P (Pedestrian) UFF (User-friendly) IN (Intelligent) (That's the crossing that is user-friendly and intelligent, not necessarily the user.)
These have infra-red cameras to monitor traffic and pedestrian movements.
If you push the button and walk away, it should cancel the request. In practice, these are in high pedestrian traffic areas, so other movement will keep it triggered.
If there is no traffic it should give traffic a red straight away. In busy times there will be a minimum delay to keep everyone moving.
If the traffic is approaching quickly, it should give a longer amber.
If the pedestrians walk slowly, it should give a longer green man signal.
(Note the use of should. Sometimes they can be observed working well.)

Then Toucan. TOU (Touch) CAN (Controlled) Already having one animal and two birds, there was apparently pressure to follow a trend, rather than think of a proper name.
This is the one on a combined foot and cycle path.
Other way to remember this one is "Two can use it", as in pedestrian and cyclist, although this was not the reason for its naming.)
This is effectively a Puffin with lights for the cycles.

There is also an Equestrian crossing. Originally known as a Pegasus. This is a Puffin with wooden fences and higher call buttons for horse riders to use. They're a bit rare. Apparently there is one somewhere in London where the Police stable their horses, but I'm not sure a policeman on a horse needs the help of a traffic light. There is one on the A259 between Littlehampton and Worthing, but despite having passed through it about once a month for twelve years, I've never seen a horse rider using it.

Here in Aylesbury we also had a Tiger crossing - yellow and black stripes, cyclists could ride across. As usual with this town, it was a complete flop & they replaced it/them with toucan.

I prefer to ride on the road despite its dangers....The cycle paths I would use are usually occupied by people walking on the cycle-side when there is an empty pedestrian-side (and who make no attempt to move out of the way), families walking four abreast taking up the entire width of the path (again with no inclination to move), or people walking their dog off the lead...

:bang:.

I prefer to ride on the road despite its dangers....The cycle paths I would use are usually occupied by people walking on the cycle-side when there is an empty pedestrian-side (and who make no attempt to move out of the way), families walking four abreast taking up the entire width of the path (again with no inclination to move), or people walking their dog off the lead...

:bang:.

This is the thing
if there was a cycle path that was fit for purpose,Why wouldn't I use it?

This is the thing
if there was a cycle path that was fit for purpose,Why wouldn't I use it?

Exactly. Then again, most of our roads aren't fit for purpose due to potholes and sunken drains etc....We just spent 2 weeks in France on holiday and it's very cycle-friendly. Their rural roads put ours to shame and they have plenty of cycle lanes, plus drivers give cyclists a lot more respect than you ever get here.

One other thing I noticed was that almost every 'casual' cyclist was helmet-free...Maybe that's because they don't feel that a car is going to mow them down at any given opportunity? :D

I am a motorist and a cyclist. I am perhaps a bit unusual because when I am on my bike I stop at red lights, mainly because it is in the Highway Code, but also because I am glad of the excuse for a breather! But it does annoy me to see cyclists disregarding the law.
But, when I am in the car and I come a cross cyclists riding 2 abreast, even on narrow or busy roads, I suddenly have a disliking for these lycra-clad self-entitled types. I know it's nice for cyclists to have a chat as they're riding along, but is this sensible or is it selfish?
What do you all think?

it is unnecessary IMO.

It sure makes me slow down and pay more attention, as a careful driver. But for some less patient drivers, who still want to get past as quickly as poss, the outside cyclist is facing a higher risk.

i as an occasional cyclist (who uses pavements wherever feasible, avoids roads as much as poss, and generally cycles off road/on trails) always show cyclists consideration and respect on the roads, going slowly around them taking no risks.

i am more irritated by horse riders who choose to go out in rush hour. in fact, i dont favour horses on roads at all, and think they belong in fields.

Last edited:
Highway Code rule 129:
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid.
This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws Road Traffic Act 1988 sect 36 & Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions 2002 regs 10 & 26

These are the only exceptions. If it is not listed, you commit an offence if you cross the line. A few years back, a pupil of mine queried with Dept of Transport whether he could pass a pedestrian and after a few emails back and forth, they said the law did not permit this, it appeared to have been missed when the legislation was passed. Their view was that passing a pedestrian was strictly an offence but that common sense should prevail.

Yes it does.
Hang on a minute, you aren't allowed to cross a solid line to pass a pedestrian, but instead you advocate stopping and getting them to go round you. On that basis, if the RTA doesn't specifically include stopping to let pedestrians go round you, then the driver is committing another offence. I don't remember that as being listed in the Highway Code as a reasonable exception or as a Statutory Defence.

The caveat "that common sense should prevail" is worrying as it leaves too much open to debate. This afternoon I overtook a cyclist who was riding comfortably in excess of 10 mph while crossing double solid white lines in the face of oncoming traffic. An absolute offence or an incident where common sense prevailed?

Back