cyclists 2 a breast

Currently reading:
cyclists 2 a breast

I am a motorist and a cyclist. I am perhaps a bit unusual because when I am on my bike I stop at red lights, mainly because it is in the Highway Code, but also because I am glad of the excuse for a breather! But it does annoy me to see cyclists disregarding the law.
But, when I am in the car and I come a cross cyclists riding 2 abreast, even on narrow or busy roads, I suddenly have a disliking for these lycra-clad self-entitled types. I know it's nice for cyclists to have a chat as they're riding along, but is this sensible or is it selfish?
What do you all think?

I am a motorist and a cyclist. I am perhaps a bit unusual because when I am on my bike I stop at red lights, mainly because it is in the Highway Code, but also because I am glad of the excuse for a breather!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who stops at the lights! :D

But it does annoy me to see cyclists disregarding the law.

Not convinced that they are; but I've just ordered a copy of the Highway Code, as I'm being assessed by an IAM instructor, next week. I'll get back to you on that one... :eek:

But, when I am in the car and I come a cross cyclists riding 2 abreast, even on narrow or busy roads, I suddenly have a disliking for these lycra-clad self-entitled types. I know it's nice for cyclists to have a chat as they're riding along, but is this sensible or is it selfish?
What do you all think?

Sensible: for the reasons stated by Ziggy, below. :cool:

2 reasons why

When you have to overtake, you have to overtake like it was another car

And 2 wide, means you'll spot them better

I was always taught to "ride high" -- and, perhaps because I live in a rural community, and am used to treating horse riders also with respect, have no problems with the plethora of cyclists (we live on a national cycle route) riding for safety, this way, as well as fun. :p

I quite like this set of advice.... :slayer:

The "disregarding the law" I meant was in regard to red-light jumping.
I am not saying that riding 2 abreast is against the law. I suspect it isn't.
I would have thought though there are times when it is a great idea, and very appropriate, and others when it isn't. I just wondered what the general consensus is.

I hate red lights with a passion - I've no problem going through them on a bike if it's clear (or a t junction for example and just going straight ahead).

Turning right (or in the UK, left) is fine too I think on a scooter or bike and saves loads of time :)

However cycling 2 wide would really annoy me - it's not the same as "having to overtake a car" - as a bike goes so much slower, so if you're stuck behind one on a two lane road......

I stick to the Road Traffic Act if I'm in a car, van, tractor, minibus, truck, riding a bike, riding a horse or cycling. If I'm on the road then I'm traffic so in my opinion the Road Traffic Act applies to me whatever mode of transportation I'm using.

Two abreast cyclists aren't an issue for me unless I'm cycling quicker than them. Passing becomes problematic and rude. Also other road users may see me overtake and mistake us for riding three abreast. Depending on how much quicker I am or how much of a hurry I'm in I often slow to be sociable and form a mini-pelaton. Then leave them behind once we're line abreast. ;)

Best are the car drivers that have to be past you at any cost even in a 20mph limit........ it was histerical hearing the scraping of various bits of BMW underside as he tried to overtake me (i was doing 20mph on my full suss mountain bike) over speed humps...... then he braked and dropped back behind me :devil:

Yes POC. Actually I agree with everything you say.

I drive either my Panda, Mrs. B's 156, my FJ1200 or my Bianchi as well as various works vehicles. I obey the RTA on all of them. I think it's the height of hypocracy to criticise one group of road users if you are a member of another that breaks the rules/laws.

There's enough antagonism on the roads without creating more. If you use a particular type of vehicle and decide you don't have to obey the rules then all you're doing is to make others more critical of and aggressive towards that group. Personally I always thank drivers if they show me consideration while I'm cycling, motorcycling or driving, and as such always try and show others the same consideration and courtesy.

Rule 66

You should
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
So, not law but a not unreasonable request.

As a cyclist, i was always aware that cars might wish to get by & so tried to get as close to the kerb as I could to help.
Same when I'm driving & see a motorbike tearing up behind - I see no reason to hold him back from meeting his maker - so I try to get right over if I can & either wave them through or indicate as if to pull over, and then decellerate so their passing can be hastened.

I appreciate that cyclists might not want to ride in the gutter (as that is where the majority of potholes tend to be), but there really is no reason to ride 3ft from the kerb at all times.
I've never cycled with anyone else, but if I did, I would maybe try to tuck in behind the other cyclist in busy traffic or on a country road when I hear a car coming. I see no point in antagonising given that I am soft & squishy & weigh a fraction of the hard, metal car.

Personally I always thank drivers if they show me consideration while I'm cycling, motorcycling or driving, and as such always try and show others the same consideration and courtesy.

I love it when I move over to let a biker past & they give me that little gesture with their left hand.

Same when you hit the pinch points in roads & you HAVE to give way. I love it when people thank you for stopping - even though it is their right of way. That little gesture costs absolutely nothing but cheers me up.

What I don't like, however, is the increasing number of older drivers who seem to have to make a real big thing about the gesture. Their hand almost touches the roof lining in some sort of Red Indian greeting (I swear I saw one guy say "How!" :D

Just a couple of examples of how things can get out of hand:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/victim-named-asda-parking-row-death-153747263.html#1qpb6GP

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ws/family-pays-moving-tribute-cyclist-5599725

Examples of things that wind me up on the road are:

Cyclists that ride two (or more) abreast in inappropriate situations.

Motorcyclists that ride with their lights on main beam because they think drivers don't see them otherwise, in which case if the bike's behind, most drivers would dip their rear view mirror rendering the bike harder to see.

Drivers that won't use a bus lane outside its times of operation.

Members of the Middle Lane Owners Club.

People who are unable or unwilling to park in one parking space.

Almost anyone who follows SatNav instruction as to lane selection.

Those who use Parent and Child bays with their 16 year old offspring.

Drivers who won't spend 15 quid on a hands free and insist on using a phone when they're driving.

There's probably loads more, but then I am hurtling through old git-dom.

There's probably loads more, but then I am hurtling through old git-dom.

Strange(?) that you should link to the Asda incident.... I also have a Blue Badge; and I nearly always use a walking stick -- strangely, because I find walking difficult (and extremely painful...). :cry:

A couple of days ago, I was holding both the stick and the badge, after having crawled my way out of the Punto, with my usual lack of grace: when I was approached by someone even older than me, who had parked in the Disabled bay, in front of the one I was in. He had a loud and breathless rant at me about the fact that these parking spots were "only for people with disabilities", blah, blah, blah. All I could say in return -- as I was rather taken aback -- was that I was disabled. I didn't even get a "sorry". He just turned his back on me and walked away.... :bang:

At least I survived to tell the tale. My shock and upset is nothing in comparison.... :eek:

And yet my additional "old git-dom" complaint was going to be about non-disabled drivers (e.g. George Osborne) using Disabled bays as short-term free parking spots: probably not maliciously... -- just without thought for other people... (how unusual...) -- not realizing that, often, because of their laziness, we will then be forced to walk further than we wanted to/were realistically capable of. (I can walk some distance, some days: but the increase in my already high levels of pain may then render me even more useless than normal for many days after.... Cycling produces the same result -- which is why I don't go that far... -- but is much less impactful on my spine.... The point I was trying to make, though, is that surely it is up to me to decide how much additional pain I'm willing to cope with...?) :(

Gizzards of the world unite, and all that.... :slayer:

PS: Sorry to have taken this so far off-topic.... (n)

I love it when I move over to let a biker past & they give me that little gesture with their left hand.

Same when you hit the pinch points in roads & you HAVE to give way. I love it when people thank you for stopping - even though it is their right of way. That little gesture costs absolutely nothing but cheers me up.

What I don't like, however, is the increasing number of older drivers who seem to have to make a real big thing about the gesture. Their hand almost touches the roof lining in some sort of Red Indian greeting (I swear I saw one guy say "How!" :D
When I am on my bike and I can hear a vehicle behind me waiting for a safe place to overtake, I speed up a bit (if I can!) and I also give them a polite acknowledgement as they go past. I have tried the French motor-bikers thankyou (where they take the left leg off the footrest and wave it at you!) but it doesn't work, as I can't pedal one-legged, and also I am never overtaking anybody!

Unfortunately I place cyclists in the same category as caravaners. They are the spawn of the devil and should be disposed of as inhumanely as possible.

This of course is a generalization and I know that there are many cyclists that do obey the RTA as there are caravaners that have a suitable car to tow their lumbering slabs of real-estate (By that I mean a vehicle that can maintain the speed limit up long hills while towing). It isn't the items themselves that I hate so much, it is more the attitude of the riders/drivers. They are possibly the most arrogant and selfish set of road users it has ever been my misfortune to meet and that includes people that need the whole of the road to turn right even when there is a filter lane available.

traffic wardens who never check the photos on blue badges pisses me off
That's a slightly odd one. In about 2005 a colleague and I were working Manchester City Centre when he spotted a driver walking away from his car, quickly. I followed him for about 400 yards and watched him run up the staircase of an office block. I watched him through the glass of the outside staircase go up 4 flights before I lost sight.

On returning to my colleague we checked that the badge and clock were correct in date and time then went to the town hall. We tried to find out who they were issued to and if they had a file photograph. Unfortunately we hit a brick wall and were told to submit an official request and data protection release thingy whatsit.

On speaking to a Traffic Sergeant he said that if we'd managed to get him by the car we could have checked the disc there and then. Unfortunately it would seem that the local council was running its own scheme. So sometimes they do check, it's just that they like to keep it for themselves. It makes good press when they get some to court.

On speaking to a Traffic Sergeant he said that if we'd managed to get him by the car we could have checked the disc there and then. Unfortunately it would seem that the local council was running its own scheme. So sometimes they do check, it's just that they like to keep it for themselves. It makes good press when they get some to court.

some councils do sweeps I've seen it on TV they have social services and police as back up incase of violence. but its not national and they don't do it in my town. people using the blue badge legitimately wont mind at all if some one asks them to show the photo side.

there are some times when no disabled person will be with the car but it will still be being used by them, example shop in our high street manager is disabled, she parks near by in disabled parking bays, but bays have 3 hour limit, so she then gets a member of staff to move the car to a car park and then go get it at the end of the day and put it back in a bay closer to the store. but that could be explained in court if needed.

When a driver is granted a Blue Badge, he/she will find in the envelope a guide book for the use of the badge.

Unfortunately, the badge goes in the car and the rule book goes in the bin. I've come across all sorts of situations that would have been avoided if the driver had just read the book. When my Grandmother was alive (obviously) she obtained a badge for when she attended Manchester University where she was taking part in experiments into ageing and when she went to the doctor. After my Nan died, my Mum returned the badge to the town hall.

The scheme allows the holder to get closer to their destination than they otherwise would be able to if they used car parks. So why, do you suppose, that people with a Blue Badge park on the road outside the Airport Hotel at Manchester Airport when the car park is closer. Nothing to do with a disability methinks.

In the guide it states that the scheme does not extend to some airports, notably Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester. As drivers enter the Controlled Zone, clearly marked, the badge is invalid. Near the said pub, you can find cars with badge parked right next to the car park entrance making visibility very difficult; parked completely on the pavement so pedestrians have to walk in the road. There's a certain irony there that a driver who is (or often not) disabled parks in such a manner that makes able bodied people put themselves at risk of ending up more disabled than the driver by having to walk in the road.

Er, drifted slightly off-topic there

I've just ordered a copy of the Highway Code, as I'm being assessed by an IAM instructor, next week. I'll get back to you on that one... :eek:

Just for the sake of completeness, here's what (bits of) Rules 66 and 67 of the Highway Code say:

You should:

• never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
  • look well ahead for obstructions in the road, such as drains, pot-holes and parked vehicles so that you do not have to swerve suddenly to avoid them. Leave plenty of room when passing parked vehicles and watch out for doors being opened or pedestrians stepping into your path
  • be aware of traffic coming up behind you

Back