Technical CV Boot Replacement

Currently reading:
Technical CV Boot Replacement

jimbo3172

Hi guys

A friend of mines 2002 diesel Doblo has failed its MOT on the nearside outer CV boot being split.

Having been a mechainc for a number of years in my distant history I have offered to do it for him, but on speaking to a couple of none Fiat mechanics I know, they suggest it might not be straight forward as the outer joint may not split in order to replace the boot as with other models.

Does anyone know the easiest method to complete this task.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Adds an extra hour onto the job if you have to take the shaft out to remove the inner boot in order to replace the outer. there was a boot on the market which was supposed to do away with removing the joint, I think it was one piece split down one side. Fit over the shaft & use the glue to seal the edge then simply slide into place, pack with grease & fit the cable ties.
A wee bit dearer than normal boots but the time saving is well worth it.

Thanks guys

I've purchased a universal boot that comes with a cone and slides over the joint. Its dearer than a normal one but having watched the video of how to fit it, it seems worth the extra.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys

I've purchased a universal boot that comes with a cone and slides over the joint. Its dearer than a normal one but having watched the video of how to fit it, it seems worth the extra.

Thanks again.

Indeed, as you pop the driveshaft out of the housing, you tend to lose some oil - which needs to be replaced (so adding to the cost and time)

Back