Crazy 1970s dude predicts earthquake in Rome

Currently reading:
Crazy 1970s dude predicts earthquake in Rome

well its now 10:08 and uuuuuuuuuh nope rome still aint gone :eek: anyway only 600 miles off :eek: thats like firing a nuke at the moon and missing and saying ah well we were only 600 miles off

Last edited:
But it's not uncommon to have earthquakes in the area.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Italy"]List of earthquakes in Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Interesting how the number of earthquakes has increased - 1300s, 1500s, two in 1600s, four in the 1700s, one in 1800s then 1900s :eek:
And they're up to 8 in just the first 11 years of the 2000s.
If this trend continues, they'll be up to one a year by the end of 2100.

Interesting also how many quakes happened in september, October & November also seem popular with the quake god.

And TBF there are probably hundreds a year, especially around the ring of fire, due to tectonic plates constantly moving, just they are too small to make the news.

I'll correct you slightly and say it's normal that the number of RECORDED earthquakes has increased since 1300 because over the last 700 years we've increasingly kept better records of this kind of phenomena.

Indeed, but in the first 11 years of the 2000s, we're not far off all the biggies from the 1900s.
I wonder if those recorded are only ones over a certain magnitude or intensity? & they've not bothered noting the small rumbles? (I see the smallest measured 4.5)

Last edited:
Indeed, but in the first 11 years of the 2000s, we're not far off all the biggies from the 1900s.
I wonder if those recorded are only ones over a certain magnitude or intensity? & they've not bothered noting the small rumbles? (I see the smallest measured 4.5)

But to have a better picture you will need records that go back thousands or Millions of years. Something like what we are experiancing now could be part of a 1000 year event.

Like global warming, there is proof in a number of place like the Isle of Arran that the earth has already experiance massive global warming before.

But to have a better picture you will need records that go back thousands or Millions of years. Something like what we are experiancing now could be part of a 1000 year event.

Like global warming, there is proof in a number of place like the Isle of Arran that the earth has already experiance massive global warming before.

Or a precursor to a major global catastrophe such as the one that started the last ice age?
Or perhaps just something that ends with the bottom of the country swimming with the fishes?
Or perhaps something that ends with the formation of another country?

Africa is pushing into Europe causing the Pyrenees and Alps and Southern Spain and Italy are the most active areas. The bloke was only 50% out it had to be one or the other. But the date gotta be pure luck.

Where next? El Teide on Tenerife is due for another eruption but he's a pretty gently old guy. La Palma might not be so benign, its split right down the middle and they reckon when it goes the tsunami will take out the whole eastern side of the Americas. Not to mention Europe and the UK's Severn estuary is perfectly lined up.

Back