General Crash test worries...

Currently reading:
General Crash test worries...

Stickman

I don't know if any of you have seen this...

This is very scary. There is another video on there of a Sei hitting a Smart head-on. The Smart seems to come off pretty well - the Sei... see for yourself.

I always suspected the car a little as the body panels are pretty flimsey and feel like if I pushed too hard they'd dent! But I never thought it would be this bad.

So I guess this post is here to make you all think (I certainly will) about the way we drive our 'mini Ferarris' on the road. This has really put the brakes on me.

Take care and drive safely everybody.

Simon

The thing is that most cars of that era come off badly. The Sei is based on the Cinq of 1992, so it isnt going to be great. But then if you look at the tests of other cars (such as the slightly bigger, newer Citroen Saxo, which gained 1/2 star over the Sei) you can see that you arnt going to be much better unless you go and get a bigger car.

Others are similar. The Metro/100 reacted to the test so badly that Rover quietly took the car off the market.

Also, remeber that the Sei is a city car, there were a few cars in the larger supermini class that were as bad as the Cento. These included the Renault Clio, Suzuki Baleno and Nissan Micra.

Remember, Ncap testing is a relitivley recent thing, car makers now design cars to pass the Ncap as a matter of standard, Infact they have become so good at it that they need to introduce a 6th star to help move the game on

Last edited:
just look out for a driver that looks like a test dummy !!

lol if u thought about it that much the sheet steel that holds ur plane together when u go on holidays is as thin or thinner than the pannels on ur car

also a lotus elise ( newer models ) is actually glued together

that dodge amp kit you put through ur car could fray turning ur car live thus blowing u up when u go too fill up at a petrol station

the list is endless if u listened too every thing u would live ur live in bubble wrap starve to death and also be a little dehidrated

Liam is testemant to the fact you can have a really bad accident and still come out the other end. By no means walking away unharmed, but still here!

If you worry too much about it you should never drive at all, period, its too dangerous lol. Just try and be sensible most of the time, and most important, don't crash (y)

Kristian

Yeah i saw the end picture the day after i brought the car lol.
It does make you worry, But as ^ there is an element of risk throughout life.

Alright alright - I wasn't saying "its all too dangerous lets never drive again" - it was just intended as a thoughtful reminder of why we all need to drive with care.

Of course risk is an element in all our lives unless we happen to live in a plastic bubble ( - but what if we run out of oxygen? OR THE BUBBLE EXPLODES?!) - but there are sensible things we can do so that danger doesn't mar our enjoyment of life - i.e. still driving, and enjoying doing so - just remembering that all cars are dangerous in crashes, and ours is certainly not one of the best. Besides, one of the best things about Seis is that they are fun to drive at all speeds - in the spirit of the original Fiat 500 and the Mini Cooper.

Also, part of good driving is spacial-awareness and response to difficult situations; I am not having a go at people who drive quickly (within reason - irresponsible speed and agression is clearly bad driving). There is no necessary link between faster drivers and accidents - I'm a fairly fast driver (admittedly slower as I get older!), but I've not had a prang so-far, and I think I'm a lot more contientious and spacially-aware than many slower drivers I see out there on our terrifying roads, because I take pride in my driving and always try to improve it. It's the nevous drivers you have to be aware of - they're the ones who cause accidents - but even if you're driving well, if a nervous driver makes a mistake... eesh. This is why we do need to remember these tests, just to remind us that, despite what the Sei would have us believe :)thumb: ) we are in fact NOT invinsible.

On a slightly different note, the car in the NCAP vid doesnt seem to have an airbag, whereas most UK Seis do to my knowledge - so that at least is good.

I know all small cars are bad in these, but that doesn't make a difference to my point. Other small car drivers should all have the same cautions.

Again - take care everyone, and keep enjoying good driving.

Simon

serin rolled his an he still here.

liam did this, and he still here

0021.JPG

On a slightly different note, the car in the NCAP vid doesnt seem to have an airbag, whereas most UK Seis do to my knowledge - so that at least is good.

Nope, early models did not, sportings got them from about 99 onwards to end of UK life, S or SX models didnt get them till late 2000 when the MPI came in

Have a look here.... 4x4 and saloon, for such a little car the fiat hasn't done bad... think i would still rather be in a fiat!!

The 2 videos you posted are of Chinese cars, and this is a well-known problem with Chinese cars in crashes.

Just google 'crash test chinese disaster' to see the plethora of results. So this was not a good comparison.

Could be worse, i ride a motorbike as well and the only crumple zone with a bike is your face:eek: .

And those are some pretty crap cars, try a modern ford fiesta or something along those lines and they do suprisingly well.

Back