General How do I test gear sellector cable

Currently reading:
General How do I test gear sellector cable

dx90

Is there a way to test to see if the selector cables are moving freely without taking them of the car?

How do I release the cable ends from the ball joints if I need to?

Thanks

I've managed to lever off the two cable ball joints that attach to the gear box.

The one near the front of the car with the adjuster on is a lot stiffer than the other. Would you say this needed replacing or is this normal?

With the engine off,you should be able to move the linkage on the gearbox by hand when cables disconnected ,check movement on gear lever while disconnected from gear box,fault is which ever is not easy to move.

With the engine off,you should be able to move the linkage on the gearbox by hand when cables disconnected ,check movement on gear lever while disconnected from gear box,fault is which ever is not easy to move.

Just tried that and the cable on the right of the gear stick that is the front cable on the gearbox with the adjuster nut is stiffer.

Will any 3rd party cable do or are there any recommended brands that are better?

Thanks

The cable is tight when disconnected from gearbox end,now disconnect cable from gear lever end and check gear lever and cable separately. Most likely that it's the cable,but best to be sure. Don't know about after market parts.Others users may be able to clarify.

The cable is tight when disconnected from gearbox end,now disconnect cable from gear lever end and check gear lever and cable separately. Most likely that it's the cable,but best to be sure. Don't know about after market parts.Others users may be able to clarify.

Disconnected from the gear stick end and its about 30 - 40% stiffer than the other. So looks like a replacement might sort it.

Thanks all for you help and advice.

Does any one have the part numbers for both gear lever linkage selector cables that connect to the gearbox for a Seicento Sporting mpi 2003?

Thanks

Last edited:
Disconnected from the gear stick end and its about 30 - 40% stiffer than the other. So looks like a replacement might sort it.

Thanks all for you help and advice.[/. You talking about cable is tighter. So cable at fault if disconnected at both ends.

Last edited:

Thanks all for you help and advice.[/. You talking about cable is tighter. So cable at fault if disconnected at both ends.

Yes both cables disconnected at both ends and cable at the front of the car on gear box and connected to right side of gear stick is stiffer than the other.

Does any one have the correct part number for the gear selector cable with the adjuster nut on?

Back